Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Stand Tall, I'm Young and Kinda Proud
Lens: 15-30mm f/2.8 Camera: K-1 Mk I Photo Location: Joshua Tree National Park, California ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Ken Lee, 01-19-2022, 10:21 AM

Stand Tall, I'm Young and Kinda Proud
~~~~~
A waning half moon appearing behind a tall, majestic Joshua Tree in Joshua Tree National Park, Mojave Desert, showing the movement of the stars over a long period of time. Illuminated during the exposure by a full moon and a handheld ProtoMachines LED2 light painting device. I'm excited to be teaching about using angles to create texture, detail and drama at the Night Photo Summit to achieve light painting like this as well.
~~~~~
(Plate 6107) Pentax K-1/15-30mm f/2.8 lens. 12 minutes total "stacked". Each individual photo 3 minutes f/8 ISO 400. October 2021.
Views: 445
01-19-2022, 12:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like a 3D object in a flat background. Wonderful use of light to make the Joshua tree stand out proudly.
01-19-2022, 02:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your use of the ProtoMachine again shows its usefulness . Did you bracket exposures to get this result ?
01-19-2022, 07:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Looks like a 3D object in a flat background. Wonderful use of light to make the Joshua tree stand out proudly.
Thanks. I did want to have the tree "pop out" a bit through lighting. Thanks!

---------- Post added 01-19-22 at 08:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Your use of the ProtoMachine again shows its usefulness . Did you bracket exposures to get this result ?
I LOVE that ProtoMachines. I do want to point out that although the ProtoMachines light makes it easier, you could definitely do this with a good quality LED flashlight. The advantage of the ProtoMachines, even when not using different colors, is that you can control saturation and brightness. Well, that and it's designed specifically for light painting.

I did not bracket exposures. All the exposures are the same setting and are "stacked" only for the purposes of creating star trails and keeping the noise level down. I did the light painting on the first exposure, and then just let the Pentax click away a few times.

01-19-2022, 09:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like Mike said, this really approximates a 3D image.
Good work!
Angky.
01-20-2022, 06:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Like Mike said, this really approximates a 3D image.
Good work!
Angky.
Thanks, Angky. I love that sort of quality with my light painting.