Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Oban Harbour and a portrait of a mountain
Posted By: thomasjmpark, 12-10-2008, 06:58 AM

Hi,

A couple more from my Scotland trip. The 1st is Oban on the west coast where we stayed on the 1st night. Oban is a really nice little town with views of the start of the Western Isles, Mull being the the 1st large island.

2nd is another from Glencoe, my favourite part of the journey.

Views: 1,311
12-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
JMR
Veteran Member

I very much like your images, but I note there is a lot of mixed lighting resulting in some areas in open dark shade and others in open bright light. A very common occurrence. Are you increasing sharpness or saturation? That's the impression I get. May I suggest that you try to equalize the dark and light areas a little more, much like a split-neutral density filter would do.

JMR
12-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks JMR. I do tinker a fair amount with contrast and saturation and almost always use a little sharpening. For the 1st the light was a little diffilcult because it was overcast on the whole scene apart from the island in the background where the sun was shining. I agree there is probably to much contrast but I do purposely do that sometimes, whether it works or not is another matter I dont know if its a style thats developing or just me applying similar pp processing do different types of pictures without really thinking about the results!

Thanks for the advice though, its good to get some pointers
12-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
beautifull, I really like the leading lines on both and the colours are just great. Please, if you have some more like this, be so kind and share them with us...

12-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Great work Tom wonderful light.
12-11-2008, 02:47 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks Axl and Gary I do have some more but they were the cream of the crop I just need to change job and location and live in the highlands for a while!
12-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would hang both of these on the wall or turn them into puzzles. Nice work and thanks for the info on the processing.

12-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great shots Tom!!!

I prefer #1 one.. It has some wonderful contrast between the brown of the mountain/hill and the town... Very nice!!!!

Thanks for sharin!!

Kim
12-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Pat and Kim
12-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Thumper473

I like them both. Well done! I like the play of light and shadow that you have going here. The reflection of that mountain in number 2 is a beautiful effect. Thank you so much for sharing these with us.