Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Granite Boulder Nestling Incense Cedar Frond Tip
Lens: D FA 28-105mm Camera: K-1 ii Photo Location: Yuba River ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: angkymac, 01-22-2022, 05:17 PM

I came upon this large boulder in a river bed and noticed it "nestling" the tip of a frond from an incense-cedar tree.
I was struck by the incongruity of it and thought it should be photographed.
But then, it could also be the tip broken off a cedar frond blown by the wind to this niche in this granite boulder.
Seemed to me, at the time, like it was a strange part of nature--a huge boulder allowing the frond to quietly dry without dropping into the muck of the river bottom and decaying ignominiously.
It's all in how a person looks at it, I suppose....

And there is more to see:
The eons of harsh abuse and crashing that rounded this former piece of a mountain.
And the tiny lichens that are now turning it into a potential garden.
And the sand, carried by the flood waters, that keeps scouring the lichens down to almost nothing.
There is one more--the dark scar from the latest flood (just below the frond) that proves this great boulder still receives severe pounding.

A lot to see here!
But it is all in how a person looks at it, I suppose...
Just an abstract in nature.
Angky.
PS: One more thing to be seen here in this image is the post processing error I made! Adding a tiny bit of clarity and sharpening to bring up a bit of texture looked fine in the larger image.
Brought to the smaller jpg, I see that the texture overtakes the image.
Something to be seen, and something to be learned, I suppose...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 262
01-22-2022, 07:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's one detailed description of the scene and the processes involved in it's evolution. There is lot texture in the boulder and it is what draws your attention. I'm not sure this could avoided with this shot. Interesting image.
01-25-2022, 06:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
That's one detailed description of the scene and the processes involved in it's evolution. There is lot texture in the boulder and it is what draws your attention. I'm not sure this could avoided with this shot. Interesting image.
Somehow my response to you, Mike, a couple of days ago disappeared.
Just wanted to let you know that I appreciated your assessment of the texture that is in this shot.
Have been re-looking at it in its original and in the sharpened image we have here.
Future shots of granite will benefit from thinking about what you said,
Thanks.
Angky.