Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
The Tesseract Nebula (aka The Iris Nebula)
Lens: RC6 Camera: K3II Photo Location: Pritchard BC ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: aitrus3, 01-26-2022, 09:12 AM

So here is what I affectionately refer to as the Tesseract. I'm not sure how this looks like an Iris, but officially it is the Iris Nebula. Some of these names I just don't understand. Thors helmet looks like a snowy owl to me, the wizard nebula looks like a mandrill, and the soul looks like a buffalo. But who am I to be rebellious? Will I change? no, no I won't.

I reworked this in PixInsight as well, captured it last May.

Views: 248
01-26-2022, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can actually see this as an iris. Seems to me that the central core of the nebula is round. Great capture and beautiful processing. Does the new software make quite a bit of difference?
01-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I can actually see this as an iris. Seems to me that the central core of the nebula is round. Great capture and beautiful processing. Does the new software make quite a bit of difference?
Yeah it does. It is so much more powerful than SiriL. I'm still doing a little bit of work in Affinity Photo. In this case I took it about 75% of the way through in PixInsight and then 25% in Affinity Photo but a lot of others use Photoshop in their workflow too.
Mainly I do fine contrast and background colour control in Affinity Photo. Could also easily be done in PixInsight but I'm just faster in Affinity Photo. Hard to dedicate the time to learn when I can do it so much faster already in another program.
01-26-2022, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
An interesting and beautiful nebula.
I don't see it as any kind of image (but then I also fail at the Rorschach Ink Blots too!)
I do see it as an extremely interesting collection of light somehow existing away out there.
I too use Affinity Photo, but I need to learn its capabilities in color control. I find it very useful in lighting control.
Angky.

01-27-2022, 07:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
An interesting and beautiful nebula.
I don't see it as any kind of image (but then I also fail at the Rorschach Ink Blots too!)
I do see it as an extremely interesting collection of light somehow existing away out there.
I too use Affinity Photo, but I need to learn its capabilities in color control. I find it very useful in lighting control.
Angky.

Curves is where colour control is at. Very powerful. Just switch from master to red, green or blue and you can really fine tune things.
01-27-2022, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Curves is where colour control is at. Very powerful. Just switch from master to red, green or blue and you can really fine tune things.
Thank you for this information!
I use curves all the time for lighting and contrast. I knew curves also had something to do with color but hadn't thought about the connection of adjusting color that way.
Seems obvious now that you point it out!
I'll experiment with that a bit; maybe I'll finally discover how to work with color.
Angky.
01-28-2022, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Thank you for this information!
I use curves all the time for lighting and contrast. I knew curves also had something to do with color but hadn't thought about the connection of adjusting color that way.
Seems obvious now that you point it out!
I'll experiment with that a bit; maybe I'll finally discover how to work with color.
Angky.
Yeah it's amazing. Levels works too, but curves gives you more control, it's not just black level or white level but you can affect change anywhere along the intensity curve.