Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
B-17 Bomber Fuddy Duddy
Lens: 28 Camera: 6D Photo Location: John Wayne airport 
Posted By: SpecialK, 02-10-2022, 05:58 PM

The local Lyon air museum was having an "open cockpit" day for Fuddy Duddy, the B-17.

Patiently waited as the docent talked to people and helped them climb down the ladder...

More waiting allowed me to shoot the nose guns. Not literally.

Waited another minute or two, with people behind me. I finally mentioned it seemed like the plane held 50 people...The docent realized we were waiting to go up to the cockpit, and said...the entrance is at the tail.

Waited about 10 minutes here...

Finally in. Badly lit tail wheel strut...

Waist guns on each side were staggered so the gunners would not bump into each other.

Maskhole. Masks required as indicated on museum entrance door. Stuck waiting for a few minutes as the line failed to advance. The guy behind me was commenting about the delay.

Control cables from the cockpit to the various moveable surfaces. Thickest was maybe 1/4".

Part of the radio/telegraph setup, I think.

The bomb bay, which could carry up to 8,000 lbs, though usually less on typical missions. I am almost over the ball-turret, which was modified so none of it was inside the plane...

Tanks for ???.

Ah, the cockpit.

Chair for bombardier, in front of the Norden bombsight. He also doubled as nose-gunner.

The museum has a small collection of military vehicles including Hitler's 6-wheel Mercedes parade wagon. It also rotates collections of classic civilian cars, such as this Porsche.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-13-2022 at 01:55 AM.
Views: 760
02-10-2022, 06:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the interesting series here.. Looks like you have a really nice air museum there. We have the New England Air Museum here in CT that I enjoy visiting and shoot at.

al

ps.. second really Nice Carrera I have seen in 2 days here on the forum.....very cool car.
02-10-2022, 07:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice Series of shots of the B-17. Good close up shots of air craft features, equipment and mechanical features.
02-10-2022, 10:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Glad to see the details of the B17.
Thanks!
Angky.

02-10-2022, 11:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for the tour.

In the 1980s I worked for a United States district judge, who I refer to as my father in the law, who is now deceased. He served as a bombardier on a B-17. I did not ask questions about his service. That was my fault. The odds of survival were stacked against the crew. He flew over Germany even before D-Day. I knew the quarters were tight before you posted; they are tight for bombardiers. And, it was in those quarters one could look forward to one final breath, or a safe return, while fighting for freedom against fascism, and Nazism. The survival rate of air crew was about 55%; while about 8% were captured.

Your photos are high in quality, and give one a good sense of this mass-produced bomber - 12,731 were produced 1936-45. I enjoyed seeing the cables controlling the plane; they did not inspire confidence.
02-11-2022, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
...The odds of survival were stacked against the crew.
Possibly not surprisingly, I was told the ball turret gunner had the lowest death rate due to the typically smaller person being hunched up in that small area. Like the control cables, not a big confidence booster. At least it beats being in a U-boat, maybe.
02-11-2022, 04:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for the pictures of this beauty!

02-11-2022, 09:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent series and nice commentary to go along with it. It really demonstrates American engineering and mass production capabilities of the era.