Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Space shuttle
Posted By: forensicscientist, 12-11-2008, 11:16 AM

The space shuttle Endeavour made an overnight stop in Fort Worth, TX. Although I only had my point and shoot with me, I was able to catch this one this morning as it left....

Attached Images

Last edited by forensicscientist; 12-11-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Views: 2,864
12-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is still an important image and I am envious regardless of what camera was used.
Way back in the middle '80's, the Enterprise, also piggy back atop a 747, made a stop over in our local major airport and all I had at the time was one of those disc cameras.
12-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Top shot, something most people will never have the chance to see, let alone photograph.
12-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
WOwwwww
I wish you had BIGMA with you....

12-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That is a rare sighting and great capture there.
12-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks. Here's another one I shot in Dec 1985.

While in College and Grad school, I had the opportunity to work with NASA and one shuttle flight. I got an "up-close" tour of the launch pad the night before the scheduled launch. This was shot with an Olympus OM-10, or OM-2 and 50mm lens. Yes, 50mm! I really was that close! The shuttle itself is completely blown out by the massive lights they have on it during the fueling process...but I still like the shot.
Attached Images

12-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
axl
Inactive Account

Man, I just read about this "Piggy bag" ride in the paper, they had a shot to ilustrate too. But to be there... I must admit, it makes me feel bit envious. Regardless camera (be happy you had one) it's a nice capture...
As for the second shot, I'd like to have that one too in my archives, but then... I was 2 years old (no pun intented)
BR
and thanx for posting
12-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Very nice capture! It is quite a sight to see these birds paired up in flight....

Here are a couple of shots of STS Atlantis, on a stopover in Nebraska. K100D & my old Asahi SMC-M 80-200 zoom

Jim

12-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Challenger explosion was in itself a terrible tragedy but the loss of the crew and orbiter Columbia was an event that was just horrible and still sad to me.
I really hope to take my family to Florida for a launch before they retire the shuttle launch vehicles.
And thank you for posting these, guys.
12-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Matt,

You should by all means go watch a launch. The Columbia was my shuttle flight..61-C. Sadly, it was the launch before the Challenger....I knew them all.

If you get the opportunity to see a launch, it is something you'll never forget. I was blessed to see the launch from a mere 3 miles at the VVIP viewing area. I tried to photograph it but the ground was literally shaking under my feet so while all my shots were pretty good, nothing spectacular.
12-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I was very fortunate to have watched a shuttle launch as a kid from coastal Fla. I think it was the Columbia in 81 or 82. To this day, every time I see one I am overwhelmed with the feeling of all the people dedicated to that one intense moment, all the hours spent, all the sacrifices made, in pursuit of the advancement of mankind. It's pretty cool.

I still remember exactly where I was, sitting in my 8th grade classroom on a cold winter day when our school principal came over the PA system to tell us all the tragic news about the Space Shuttle Challenger.

Nice to hear the Endeavour has returned safely this afternoon to Kennedy Space Centre.