Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Kalanchoe (?)
Lens: SMC Pentax-DFA Macro f:2.8 100mm WR Camera: K-1 ii Photo Location: Grand-daughter's Window ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: angkymac, 02-13-2022, 06:30 PM

My grand-daughter told me that this might be a flower she called "Kalanchoe".
I have never seen, or heard of, such a plant, so I looked on line.
It does approximate some Kalanchoe flowers shown on line but not many of that genus (that I found on line) match, and only a very few come relatively close.
It's such a pretty bloom I just wanted to post it, and if anybody knows indoor flowers and recognizes it, they can identify it for sure.
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 466
02-13-2022, 06:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a very pretty flower and captured very well in these images. Very good color and details. Thank your Granddaughter for bringing this one to your attention
02-13-2022, 06:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The first photo is particularly well done. Very nice work!
02-13-2022, 09:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
It is a very pretty flower and captured very well in these images. Very good color and details. Thank your Granddaughter for bringing this one to your attention
I'll pass that word along to her, Mike!
Thanks for mentioning it!
Angky.

---------- Post added 02-13-22 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The first photo is particularly well done. Very nice work!
Thank you for the note on that!
I do appreciate it!
Angky.

02-13-2022, 09:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful images Angky! The first one has fantastic lighting and superb use of a shallow depth of field to create a 3D effect.
02-14-2022, 07:34 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Beautiful images Angky! The first one has fantastic lighting and superb use of a shallow depth of field to create a 3D effect.
Glad to know that the soft focused background and blurring worked to good effect.
Still learning these things.
Thanks for the input.
Angky.
02-15-2022, 01:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Definitely like the First of the shots greatly! Nicely done!

al

02-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very beautiful images, Angky!
It may well be a Kalanchoe, can't be certain without a look at the foliage. Certainly is a pretty thing, regardless.

(today's lesson ... correct pronunciation is Kal-an-CO-ee, common mispronunciation is Kal-AN-show)
02-15-2022, 04:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Very beautiful images, Angky!
It may well be a Kalanchoe, can't be certain without a look at the foliage. Certainly is a pretty thing, regardless.

(today's lesson ... correct pronunciation is Kal-an-CO-ee, common mispronunciation is Kal-AN-show)
Your pronunciation lesson is right on!
I had a very hard time finding this flower on line from the way my grand-daughter carefully mis-pronounced it (and misspelled it).
I think I have more images that include the foliage--taken with the K10D camera. I'll see if one of them is worth posting to help in ID.
Angky.

---------- Post added 02-15-22 at 05:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Definitely like the First of the shots greatly! Nicely done!

al
Yes, that first shot was carefully selected and processed.
The second was added just for aid in identifying the plant.
But I still need to get more info into the images.
Thanks for your appreciation of that image.
Angky.
02-15-2022, 04:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Angky, Can you post a pic of the Plant with leaves showing? Many plants have distinct leaves that are used to ID them.

al
02-15-2022, 05:50 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Your pronunciation lesson is right on!
I had a very hard time finding this flower on line from the way my grand-daughter carefully mis-pronounced it (and misspelled it).
I think I have more images that include the foliage--taken with the K10D camera. I'll see if one of them is worth posting to help in ID.
Angky.
Understood. At the nursery we had a few staff, and MANY customers, who always pronounced it "CLAN-show". Drove me nuts, I confess. Worse, there were a few of each who couldn't correctly pronounce some orchid names, either... couple of sales reps, in particular...I wanted to make them stand in the corner and speak the names a hundred times until they got it right (I never did, but was tempted many times...)
02-15-2022, 06:56 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Angky, Can you post a pic of the Plant with leaves showing? Many plants have distinct leaves that are used to ID them.

al
Will do that, Al!
I currently do not have any shots with clear images of the leaves and stems; I was only shooting the blooms. (Foolish of me!)
But I'll get some of the foliage as soon as I'm able.
And thanks to you and to Julie for requesting that!
It will be quite interesting to know exactly what kind of plant that is--such beautiful blooms on it!
Angky.

---------- Post added 02-15-22 at 08:01 PM ----------

Understood. At the nursery we had a few staff, and MANY customers, who always pronounced it "CLAN-show". Drove me nuts, I confess. Worse, there were a few of each who couldn't correctly pronounce some orchid names, either... couple of sales reps, in particular...I wanted to make them stand in the corner and speak the names a hundred times until they got it right (I never did, but was tempted many times...)
Sales reps are never going to say anything differently to what their customers call it!
Angky.
02-16-2022, 07:36 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sales reps are never going to say anything differently to what their customers call it!
Angky.
Sad but true...I just hate perpetuating ignorance, particularly when this nursery was alleged to be world-class for orchid expertise. Anyhow, yeah, if you can get some images of the plant itself, leaves, growth habit, etc., that will be very helpful for ID attempts.
02-16-2022, 06:49 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sad but true...I just hate perpetuating ignorance, particularly when this nursery was alleged to be world-class for orchid expertise. Anyhow, yeah, if you can get some images of the plant itself, leaves, growth habit, etc., that will be very helpful for ID attempts.
I am definitely working on it.
Give me a few days to get back to her house and I'll get some foliage in the images.
Angky.
02-17-2022, 06:16 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am definitely working on it.
Give me a few days to get back to her house and I'll get some foliage in the images.
Angky.
Cool. At your convenience, of course!