Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
You have to eat
Lens: Pentax DA 55-300 PLM Camera: Pentax KP ISO: 140 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: reh321, 02-18-2022, 09:17 AM

We had a late season snowfall that has largely kept most of us home this morning, but the doe did still need her food.
{we don't have to leave home find food; I haven't seen any squirrels yet, though}.

Attached Images

Views: 426
02-18-2022, 12:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We had a late season snowfall that has largely kept most of us home this morning, but the doe did still need her food.
{we don't have to leave home find food; I haven't seen any squirrels yet, though}.
You eat squirrels ? Shame on you - what would Otis say ?

02-18-2022, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
You eat squirrels ? Shame on you - what would Otis say ?

Thank you for your comment.

I do go through a 20 pound bag of "Squirrel and Critter" feed every week; it is mostly corn, but has enough sunflower seeds and peanuts to keep everyone interested.
I purchase it for the Squirrels - but if they sleep in, others {including the Blue Jays} will get the 'good stuff'.
Yesterday, the hillside was bare - then yesterday afternoon covered us again - the city just finished plowing us out.
'They' claim the Deer come only at dawn and dusk, but I guess the Does {I've never seen a Buck here} want to eat too,
I just took the following scene out the back door - you'll notice that the Squirrels and Deer have uncovered the area where sloppy Squirrels have dropped corn / sunflower seeds / peanuts.
{I took this last photo with my K-30 and my Sigma 70-300mm lens}
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by reh321; 02-18-2022 at 02:40 PM.
02-18-2022, 02:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You're lucky to have so much wildlife to feed - here I get the usual UK garden birds, the ubiquitous (introduced) squirrels and the neighbourhood cats, which try to feed on the birds.

02-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
You're lucky to have so much wildlife to feed - here I get the usual UK garden birds, the ubiquitous (introduced) squirrels and the neighbourhood cats, which try to feed on the birds.
We live in the "Mideastern" part of the U.S. - a place of corn {and hogs which are fed the corn}.
This land was farmland before my parents had the house built in 1990, when my Dad was about my current age.
I inherited the place when my Mother died about three years ago.
I guess the deer eat corn in the summer, then come here looking for anything edible during the Winter.
Originally my Mother planted ivy to keep the hillside in place, but they seem to like Squirrel food even more.
02-18-2022, 05:26 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We occasionally get deer in our back yard, but never that close. They usually hang out in the wooded area behind our house. It's a great treat to see them up close. Thanks for sharing.
02-19-2022, 12:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
We occasionally get deer in our back yard, but never that close. They usually hang out in the wooded area behind our house. It's a great treat to see them up close. Thanks for sharing.
They are cute up to a point. This morning I refilled the bird feeder, because I thought the birds should have a chance at it,
then I saw the deer emptying it again, so I chased them off twice before lunch. Apparently they came back while we had lunch,
but now the two deer before lunch had become five deer ..... and had emptied the bird feeder again.
By this time, they were spread around the yard, so I got only the sentinel in my photo this time, 'hiding' behind the apple tree..
Shortly afterwards, something else scared them off.

Attached Images

02-19-2022, 04:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
They are cute up to a point. This morning I refilled the bird feeder, because I thought the birds should have a chance at it,
then I saw the deer emptying it again, so I chased them off twice before lunch. Apparently they came back while we had lunch,
but now the two deer before lunch had become five deer ..... and had emptied the bird feeder again.
By this time, they were spread around the yard, so I got only the sentinel in my photo this time, 'hiding' behind the apple tree..
Shortly afterwards, something else scared them off.
This is getting old!!

The herd is back for supper!
I never did refill the feeders, so most of them seem to be at the back of the property eating ivy - except for the 'sentinel' who is grazing ivy {that would otherwise overgrow} by our garden.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo