Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Egret Launching
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA 200mm f2.8* Camera: K-1 ii Photo Location: Sacramento Valley ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: angkymac, 02-18-2022, 08:53 PM

This guy launched and I grabbed what camera I could get off the car seat. Shot taken through the open passenger window.
The mounted lens was 200mm--not nearly enough.
The image is cropped pretty heavily and close examination will show visible pixels. (Enlargement is about 230%.)
The bird was in this field and took off just as I drove up. He seemed to be guarding another egret back in the field--probably his mate, and he was trying to distract me.
This is the first full cycle of his huge wings.
His neck is not yet extended and it looks fairly humorous in this "retracted" position.
I have to wonder if that long snaky tube gets whiplash when he launches.
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 436
02-19-2022, 03:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty shot. Despite not having a long telephoto lens mounted, you achieved a good image with very accurate focus and nice colors. It wasn't a long telephoto lens, but it was a good one. Good shot Angky.
02-19-2022, 07:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Pretty shot. Despite not having a long telephoto lens mounted, you achieved a good image with very accurate focus and nice colors. It wasn't a long telephoto lens, but it was a good one. Good shot Angky.
Thank you, Mike.
Glad to hear your approval.
Angky.
02-20-2022, 06:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice capture Angky! Even heavily cropped it has a good quality to it. I really like the way you cropped it giving a lot of distance ahead of the egret, and also picking up the tree line across the top of the frame.

02-20-2022, 06:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Nice capture Angky! Even heavily cropped it has a good quality to it. I really like the way you cropped it giving a lot of distance ahead of the egret, and also picking up the tree line across the top of the frame.
Todd, It's good to know what you said about the cropping leaving a long distance ahead of the bird. I had a lot of second "guesses" about that after I posted it.
And same with the line of trees. I "had" to put those in there--not sure why, but it just seemed right--for framing.
I know it is all about individual perspectives, but I do thank you for the help in seeing what I'm not sure about seeing.
Thanks for the help!
Angky.
02-21-2022, 07:27 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good catch for what you had to work with - not to mention spur of the moment through the car window!
02-21-2022, 07:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
A good catch for what you had to work with - not to mention spur of the moment through the car window!
Thank you!
Seemed like not such a good shot, but as you say, it turned out in spite of what it was.
I'm still looking for a chance to capture some bird shots like the excellent examples that get posted on this site.
Angky.

02-21-2022, 08:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Thank you!

I'm still looking for a chance to capture some bird shots like the excellent examples that get posted on this site.
Angky.
You and me both! Some of the best in this forum have set a very high standard for the rest of us to dream for!!
02-21-2022, 09:12 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
You and me both! Some of the best in this forum have set a very high standard for the rest of us to dream for!!
Sheesh! Ain't that the truth!!!
Just a dream for me, I suspect...
But it's good to keep on hoping and trying.
Keep dreaming and shooting!!
Angky.
By the way, seems like I recall being powerfully impressed with quite a few of your own bird shots--a very high standard indeed!
But, keep on dreaming and shooting--we enjoy what you show us!

Last edited by angkymac; 02-21-2022 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Add comment after posting.