Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Red-bellied Black Snake
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3iii Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 10000 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: RobG, 02-28-2022, 01:26 AM

Red-bellied Black Snake
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

It was one of the largest snakes of this species that I've seen.

Red-bellied Black Snake
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 585
02-28-2022, 02:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One good reason to use the big lens is a healthy respect for this one . A beautiful variety I think but such snakes serve to eliminate vermin too .
02-28-2022, 07:09 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Red and black go well together, especially in nature. Excellent captures of this beauty.
02-28-2022, 07:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific captures Rob. It is a real beauty!

02-28-2022, 02:17 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks to be in very healthy condition. I wouldn't invite it to bite me but I would much prefer it to an Eastern Brown.
02-28-2022, 03:36 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
One good reason to use the big lens is a healthy respect for this one . A beautiful variety I think but such snakes serve to eliminate vermin too .
Yes, snakes certainly help to keep the numbers of mice and rats down. I was standing well back with the 450mm focal length. They can easily strike within a 2 metre distance, but are generally placid. I've seen this species many times and never seen one adopt a strike pose. The only snake I've ever seen do that was a Small-eyed Snake after I nearly stepped on it in a rainforest after sunset.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Red and black go well together, especially in nature. Excellent captures of this beauty.
Thanks! I agree, I think they are beautiful with the combination of black and red.

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Terrific captures Rob. It is a real beauty!
Thanks Todd!

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Looks to be in very healthy condition. I wouldn't invite it to bite me but I would much prefer it to an Eastern Brown.
Agreed. Eastern Browns are potentially much more dangerous, although I've never seen one behave aggressively. The only snake I've ever heard of being aggressive is the Taipan. I've seen Brown Snakes, Red-bellied Blacks, Death Adders, Tiger Snakes, King Browns, Small-eyed Snakes and many others, but they are either asleep in the sun, or keen to get away.
02-28-2022, 09:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is such a clean couple of shots that I can almost appreciate the snake!
It even looks "pretty" in its own snaky way.
I've been waiting for Mike to post some snake shots; I might actually get used to looking at snake images.
Angky.

03-01-2022, 04:31 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
That is such a clean couple of shots that I can almost appreciate the snake!
It even looks "pretty" in its own snaky way.
I've been waiting for Mike to post some snake shots; I might actually get used to looking at snake images.
Thank you! It will start to get cold soon, so we're probably toward the end of snake season down here. They'll be active for quite a bit longer in Queensland. Sadly I haven't seen many snakes since I have owned a DSLR. I have a couple of nice shots of carpet pythons in Queensland on film which I will hopefully scan one day.
03-01-2022, 09:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are close enough to notice they have a red belly, that's too close for me. Otherwise, the photography is beautiful.
03-01-2022, 10:45 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
If you are close enough to notice they have a red belly, that's too close for me. Otherwise, the photography is beautiful.
Thank you! Fair enough. I was quite happy to use 450mm of magnification to keep a safe distance.
03-02-2022, 01:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I wouldn't invite it to bite me but I would much prefer it to an Eastern Brown.
The black snake venom is slow acting and doesn't attack the central nervous system like a Eastern brown.

The good thing about red bellys is they hunt browns, the bad thing is they are slow and easy prey for humans that think a good snake is a dead snake.

Ive seen plenty of Blacks on my property and in 28 years Ive only had to kill 2 that took up residence close to the house.The venom is more harmful to elderly and young children but not so much to a healthy adult.When I encounter them away from the houses just let them be.Ive never seen a Brown here.

---------- Post added 03-02-22 at 07:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Death Adders
behave aggressively.
This is the dangerous snake, the handlers won't handle it in exhibitions.Whereas Ive seen them with Browns and Taipans no problem.With adders its not a matter of IF you get bitten its when.
03-02-2022, 02:41 AM   #12
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The black snake venom is slow acting and doesn't attack the central nervous system like a Eastern brown.
Yes. I believe it has been quite some time since anyone died from a red-bellied black bite. I have never seen one around the house here. They prefer to stay around water. When I was a kid we saw a lot but that was black soil melon hole country which could be very wet at the right times. The ones we get around the house (and elsewhere) are Spotted Black Snakes. They have a limited distribution and are supposed to be highly venomou,s although I can't speak from experience. My rule is much like yours; living around the house is not on; otherwise they can go their own way.
03-02-2022, 06:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

They prefer to stay around water.
Yes, I see then down the hill where my dams are mostly.If you have them, the browns will steer clear.

So,the last census up your way was 17 people,I just read.Not lots of portrait opportunities!
03-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
This is the dangerous snake, the handlers won't handle it in exhibitions.Whereas Ive seen them with Browns and Taipans no problem.With adders its not a matter of IF you get bitten its when.
Interesting. I've only seen one once, and I doubt that they have the same striking ability as longer snakes such as the Taipan. The biggest risk would be not seeing it and stepping on it by accident. Funny you mention snake handlers because I heard a tale of someone being bitten unexpectedly by a Taipan while saying that they aren't aggressive. But in the wild, the best thing is just to let them do their thing and steer clear. Most people get bitten when trying to kill snakes.
03-02-2022, 03:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Most people get bitten when trying to kill snakes.
Yes, as well as trying to catch them.

The correct procedure is to get around behind them....Face to face BACK OFF,a snake can only strike the length of its body.