Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Looking up! De Passage in The Hague, NL
Lens: Sigma 8-16mm Camera: KP Photo Location: De Passage, Den Haag, NL 
Posted By: newmikey, 03-11-2022, 01:51 AM

I was struck by the shopping street in downtown the Hague which somewhat resembles the 19th century "Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II" in Milano, Italy which I had visited some years ago. Never knew there was something as beautiful as this literally around the corner! Go figure... The Passage in The Hague is the oldest existing shopping mall in the Netherlands. It was inaugurated in 1885 by the N.V. 's-Gravenhaagsche Passage Maatschappij, which was co-founded by the well-known The Hague resident Petrus Josephus de Sonnaville (1830-1925), also one of the founders of the Kurhaus in Scheveningen.

The most important branch from 1885 runs from the Spuistraat to the Buitenhof. The oldest part (the Spuistraat and Buitenhof arm) was by design from the architects Herman Wesstra Jr. and J.C. van Wijk, in an internationally oriented neo-renaissance style. In 1929 the third arm to the Hofweg was added to the walking area. The design in expressionist style was by Jos. Duinstee.

Anyway, I stood in the door opening of a store with my KP's LCD flipped out horizontally, trying to frame the (asymmetric) roof and side streets as pleasing as I could. The lights above the door of the shop helped me align visually but in LV even minute movements can throw off symmetry very easily. I made 4 attempts of 3 exposures each and this was the last run. As these were done hand-held, I used Photomatix for Linux to align and merge the shots after which I saved the HDR tonemap as a 16-bit LDR TIFF. I then used Darktable 3.8.1 to apply available lens corrections for the Sigma UWA and some other refinements (highpass filter, levels and an exposure tweak) and finished off with NR and sharpening in NeatImage for Linux. Hope you like the result.

Last edited by newmikey; 03-11-2022 at 05:01 AM.
Views: 221
03-11-2022, 03:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lack of symmetry can be really annoying, I know. That's a great exposure, the detail is there and I generally like your approach to color. Very nice shot.
03-11-2022, 09:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love this type of shot. Alignment is very good, details are great and the colors are very pleasing. Great work.