Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Orion's Sword
Lens: DA*300 Camera: K3iii Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: RobG, 03-13-2022, 06:24 AM

Orion's Sword
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

My first attempt at using Astrotracer 3. Six images, each of 60 seconds, stacked with Sequator. I got a number of "Data process failed" messages when Astrotracer took the initial image and failed to measure the star trails. The focus is also not quite right. I think I need a Bahtinov mask. Considering the light pollution on my balcony, this result is amazing.
Views: 394
03-13-2022, 08:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd have to agree, a pretty amazing result. I hope that Astrotracer 3 can be made available for other camera bodies. Not likely though.
03-13-2022, 09:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The result is absolutely satisfying. Very nice shot.
03-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I'd have to agree, a pretty amazing result. I hope that Astrotracer 3 can be made available for other camera bodies. Not likely though.
Thanks, Mike! In principle it should be possible with any IBIS body, but I suspect they may use it to encourage K3iii sales. I'm keen to find out if it only does linear adjustment or if it can do rotation. If the latter is possible, it would be great for wide field.

---------- Post added 14-03-22 at 09:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
The result is absolutely satisfying. Very nice shot.
I was amazed considering the light pollution. I should be able to do better with the DFA 150-450.

03-13-2022, 09:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That you can get such a shot of stars is amazing to me (being a novice at it).
Really glad to see these images!
Angky.
03-14-2022, 06:20 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
That you can get such a shot of stars is amazing to me (being a novice at it).
Really glad to see these images!
This should give hope to anyone who lives in a city that they can photograph deep sky objects. Unfortunately there's no clear skies forecast for the next week.
03-14-2022, 06:30 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This certainly looks like a very good result for a first attempt to me Rob! I need to spend some time reading and educating myself about astro photography. I now live in an area that has a lot less light pollution, and I would like to take a crack at it someday.

03-14-2022, 02:45 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
This certainly looks like a very good result for a first attempt to me Rob! I need to spend some time reading and educating myself about astro photography. I now live in an area that has a lot less light pollution, and I would like to take a crack at it someday.
Thanks Todd! Fortunately the Orion nebula is bright - to the naked eye it just looks like a star in Orion's sword - and Orion is easy to find. There's quite a few helpful pentaxians in the Astro forum. I'm still waiting for a clear night to go for a drive somewhere darker.