Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

14mm Photo Contest
Posted By: HoutHans, 03-21-2022, 02:37 PM

The constellation of Orion as seen through a 50mm lens. If this isn't wide open, I don't know what is. We're talking lightyears of distance and all framing up nicely in a nifty fifty. A total exposure of 12450 seconds also reveals Barnard's loop, the red/purple ring to the left. Orion's belt and sword are also home to some nice nebulosity.

Attached Images

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-23-2022 at 12:40 PM.
Views: 885
03-26-2022, 08:22 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
True, I think that is has something to do with the difficulty of recognising what is in the image, which is shy I went for a constellation most will be able to recognise. Or so I hope. There's some stiff competition for sure. Anyway, we'll see what happens.
I also think that for a lot of people they have no idea of what it takes to get a really good shot.

03-27-2022, 10:58 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That's probably also relevant. Anyway, I noticed that you made it to the final round, so congrats on that!
03-28-2022, 08:50 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's probably also relevant. Anyway, I noticed that you made it to the final round, so congrats on that!
Thanks. With such a small number of finalists I actually was surprised I made it in. I thought it was a reasonably good image but didn't think it would be top 10, let alone among the 9 chosen, but thought if they chose 20 finalists I would might make it. I don't think I will win as even among foggy landscape images I think the other 2 are better. I must be doing something right of late as my non astro images seem to be getting noticed more. I had a finalist image in one of the regular monthly contest here recently, I got the cover image on the BBC's "Your Pictures on the Theme of Sparkles", and a finalist in this contest.
03-28-2022, 11:35 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's nice and congratulations again for making the final in the BBC contest. I'm guessing its the illuminated tree image? That's a very nice image indeed.

03-29-2022, 07:46 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm guessing its the illuminated tree image?
Yes it was the illuminated tree image. I've managed to have a good number of people ask for prints of that illuminated tree and it was a stitched panorama with the full size image being about 18,000x12,000 in size so even a request for a 3 foot x 2foot (1m x .6m) is no problem. What is interesting is that only those who are into astronomy or astrophotography have ever shown interest in my astro images but even there I've had some interesting requests like to include an image in a text book
03-29-2022, 11:38 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Aha, that's nice. One of my images is used on the cover of a book, but that's about as far as it goes. I'm actually thinking about printing some images and putting them up in the corridor where I work. It's one of these barren office corridors.
03-30-2022, 11:36 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For something that is a hobby any recognition is always nice but I mostly take pictures because I like to and is cheaper than drugs and/or booze. I know I likely will never make any real money and I mostly take pictures because I like to so any money taken in mostly goes to offset a small portion of the expense of the hobby. It is nice when I do get a bunch of requests for prints of an image and can actually offset some other expense like I did with this image where the little extra a quote for prints more than covered the $130 cost of the Sigma 300/4 APO Tele Macro lens I was using. The illuminated tree image was done with the A50/1.2 and that lens hasn't paid for itself yet if I look at things from that perspective. However I wouldn't do that as that would mean most of my lenses are duds, even things like the 77 ltd, K35/2, A* 200/2.8, A* 400/2.8, D FA 100/2.8 WR Macro, and others.

I want everyone to succeed and get better since in the long run it really won't affect me other than I may learn something from them if they do something better or interesting.

I have a few images up in the office at my work as well but no I don't go in there much anymore as they finally figured out we are adults and can do our job without having a manager looking over our shoulder. I still have to go in from time to time as there are just some things that are best done in person but if I don't have to go in I will save myself the 45 minute drive each way and 64 miles of driving round trip if I can.

03-30-2022, 11:13 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Same here, I basically only go in the office when I need to teach or invigilate an exam; the rest is at home and online. Easy as that, better for my time, the boss' time and the environment (though I commute mostly on bike). It's a hobby for me as well, and getting an image printed or used by/for someone else only adds to the fun. that's it. I wouldn't dream of having a hobby and then worrying about whether it pays for itself. The dandelion image is also very nice, BTW.