Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Another One I Did Not Buy. :(((
Lens: Canon EF-S 55~250 IS,II Lens Camera: Canon EOS Rebel t5. Photo Location: Sherwood Forest ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: Tonytee, 03-26-2022, 05:16 PM

because it was not for sale. (

Manual Exposure Mode with Multi-Segment Metering.

Thank you very much for viewing.

Tony
Views: 340
03-26-2022, 05:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't seen one of these cars in some time. Truly a classic British sports car. Great images Tony.
03-26-2022, 06:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh wow! A TR-3A.

This was the car I had when I courted my wife. We've been married almost 56 years, so how could I have anything but fond, fond memories for this car?

Mine (my dad's actually) was a 1959 in black with red interior. It had wire wheels, a white soft top and a white tonneau cover. I hated the cheap stamped aluminum grille and removed it. It was replaced with just a chrome bar between the bumperettes.

The TR was built like a tank, and I don't think you could hurt it. The engine would just go and go. The chassis was very rugged, and it seemed the car had steel bars in place of shocks.

I spent my summers on the Eastern Shore of Maryland at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. A friend with an MG-TD and I used to go out and "blow around" the country roads. When the corn was high, it was difficult to see exactly what the curves and turns were about so we would watch the utility poles and wires. Good times! But very crazy.

My brother and I did U.S.-style, Time-Speed-Distance rallies in the TR. Interestingly enough (because this is a photo forum), we used Kodak darkroom timers as our leg timers. We won some and lost some, but we were generally in the hunt.

Well, I know this is a bit of a disjointed response, but these random memories jumped into my head when I saw your photos. Thanks for reminding me of my memories!
03-26-2022, 06:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I haven't seen one of these cars in some time. Truly a classic British sports car. Great images Tony.
Many thanks Mike. This was a fun shoot.

Tony

---------- Post added 03-26-22 at 07:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Oh wow! A TR-3A.

This was the car I had when I courted my wife. We've been married almost 56 years, so how could I have anything but fond, fond memories for this car?

Mine (my dad's actually) was a 1959 in black with red interior. It had wire wheels, a white soft top and a white tonneau cover. I hated the cheap stamped aluminum grille and removed it. It was replaced with just a chrome bar between the bumperettes.

The TR was built like a tank, and I don't think you could hurt it. The engine would just go and go. The chassis was very rugged, and it seemed the car had steel bars in place of shocks.

I spent my summers on the Eastern Shore of Maryland at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. A friend with an MG-TD and I used to go out and "blow around" the country roads. When the corn was high, it was difficult to see exactly what the curves and turns were about so we would watch the utility poles and wires. Good times! But very crazy.

My brother and I did U.S.-style, Time-Speed-Distance rallies in the TR. Interestingly enough (because this is a photo forum), we used Kodak darkroom timers as our leg timers. We won some and lost some, but we were generally in the hunt.

Well, I know this is a bit of a disjointed response, but these random memories jumped into my head when I saw your photos. Thanks for reminding me of my memories!

My pleasure sir and so glad it provided you with sincere, heart felt memories. I had the opportunity to drive one of these while visiting the U.K., in the mid 60s. Right hand drive of course which lent some apprehension at first, but then it didn't matter because back then the roads only had room for one small vehicle. The joy of tooling around the British countryside with the top down is unforgettable. Never get tired of the amazing, "British Racing Green." Reminds me a lot of Sterling Moss. Great racer.

Thank you very much for your truly interesting history with this jewel in the crown. )

Tony

03-26-2022, 07:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great series, Tony. I particularly like the point of view in the third shot - perfectly shows the look of the classic dash and showing that dash in the context of the whole design. I'm not sure I've ever photographed a convertible quite this way, and I'll confess in advance that I'm likely to "borrow" your approach when I'm at the next concours or show.

Jer
03-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great handling of exposure and lighting.
And as Jer said, great handling of composition.
Makes that car memorable--even if it wasn't already memorable.
Angky.
03-26-2022, 08:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Great pix of a Triumph TR3. When I was in grade 8, many moons ago, our science teacher had one. This would of been 1962. He got stuck in the deep snow, parking lot of the high school and asked me and a buddy to give him a push. I still remember the lovely exhaust note as he revved the engine in first gear...to get out of the snow.

03-27-2022, 01:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great series, Tony. I particularly like the point of view in the third shot - perfectly shows the look of the classic dash and showing that dash in the context of the whole design. I'm not sure I've ever photographed a convertible quite this way, and I'll confess in advance that I'm likely to "borrow" your approach when I'm at the next concours or show.

Jer
Hello Jer and a gazillion thanks for your amazing review. Admittedly I and many others here are still chomping at the bit to view some awesome interior captures of your

Porsche. I may even be starting some withdrawal symptoms very soon. ))

Tony

---------- Post added 03-27-22 at 01:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Great handling of exposure and lighting.
And as Jer said, great handling of composition.
Makes that car memorable--even if it wasn't already memorable.
Angky.
Thank you very much there, Angky.

Tony

---------- Post added 03-27-22 at 01:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great pix of a Triumph TR3. When I was in grade 8, many moons ago, our science teacher had one. This would of been 1962. He got stuck in the deep snow, parking lot of the high school and asked me and a buddy to give him a push. I still remember the lovely exhaust note as he revved the engine in first gear...to get out of the snow.
Many thanks for a very interesting commentary. Difficult to imagine driving one of these in snow. They do have a very light rear end and so I believe there would have

been a lot of fishtailing. Thanks again.

Tony
03-27-2022, 07:21 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tony, I agree with Jer that your points of view in your images really stand out. That is one real beauty of a car. Thanks for sharing them!
03-27-2022, 08:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote

Many thanks for a very interesting commentary. Difficult to imagine driving one of these in snow. They do have a very light rear end and so I believe there would have

been a lot of fishtailing. Thanks again.

Tony

We have winter and snow...here for at least 5.5 months of the year. With a car that is light in the rear, we would place a sand bag or two over the drive axle, for added traction. In the '60's a boss of mine had a MGB....it was surprisingly good in the snow. He also had snow tires on the rear...
03-27-2022, 11:23 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
We have winter and snow...here for at least 5.5 months of the year. With a car that is light in the rear, we would place a sand bag or two over the drive axle, for added traction. In the '60's a boss of mine had a MGB....it was surprisingly good in the snow. He also had snow tires on the rear...
Thanks again for your input.

Tony

---------- Post added 03-27-22 at 11:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Tony, I agree with Jer that your points of view in your images really stand out. That is one real beauty of a car. Thanks for sharing them!
Thnx very much ToddK. I waited around for some time in hopes of meeting the owner, but I had to leave prior to him/her showing up. For me, part of the reward of these

vehicles is being brought up to speed on what it is like to be an owner. Triumph and many other British automakers are now defunct and I imagine it is quite difficult to

get service and find OEM parts.

Again, many thnx. )

Tony
03-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Triumph and many other British automakers are now defunct and I imagine it is quite difficult to get service and find OEM parts.

Tony
Many of those British cars from the 1950s had a lot of common items that were from third-party suppliers. Lucas electrical items and SU carburetors come to mind. For example, I know that almost all the electrics in the TR-3A were from Lucas and shared with several other British cars. This might make sourcing parts easier than it would be if parts were all manufacturer specific.