Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Christmas decoration Bronx style
Posted By: NaClH2O, 12-13-2008, 07:38 PM

One of the things I like about the Bronx is the exhuberance of the people here. Quiet and understated we aren't!

Wait! There is more! From the other side of the house.

note that all the plastic wrapped figures are animatronic, it was threatening rain the night I was there and the were wrapped and protected from the elements. I hope to get back tomorrow night, if I can find a place to park...It is VERY popular!
More shots can be found here:
saltwater : photos : Pelham Parkway display- powered by SmugMug
Views: 2,867
12-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey its really funny.
When I think about Xmas, its house like in Home Alone...
12-13-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That is quite a display! The only drag is the fence around it. There is not only a substantial amount of $$$ in the cost of the decorations, but what about lighting them?!? San Diego Gas and Electric would own me if I had a display like this!
12-14-2008, 02:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That is almost like a theatre play taking place in the street. what a feast of lighting and colour

12-14-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Ah the xmas spirit :always shines through

cheers
12-14-2008, 06:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

These gaudy displays are just that...yuk. What do the Lourdes, Sacred Heart and the Archangel got to do with Xmas??

As for the shots - with that much light I guess they were hand-held eh!
12-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everybody
LaRee: I think there is a small non-profit organization that helps out. This display has been going on for decades and has been mentioned in both literature and song.
James: Exactly, it's like a a little minny street theater. With special attention to the little kids who just adore the whole thing.
Cupic: Yep in all its exuberant gaudy glory!
JC: I used to think as you do, but I've changed my mind. Gaudy? Yes. Over the top? Yes. But a lot of Christmas is about gaudy and over the top. Santa Claus, the Yule Log, The Hallelujah Chorus (which really is about Easter, but is played almost exclusively at Christmas) Mistletoe, everybody else's displays etc etc. And if you look at it, a big part of the Christmas celebration is about the winter solstice also, and that has always been gaudy and over the top. Especially in these times a little exhuberance is actually welcome. Besides the looks on the kids faces is worth it.

NaCl(times be hard but the Pelham Pky display is still lit!)H2O
12-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, buddy - you sure these folks aren't transplanted Texans (where "over the top" is written into the state constitution)?

Seriously, these shots show little noise. I can't seem to make that happen with shots like this, without screwing 'em up in PP. How did you do this (if you dont mind sharing a trade secret)?

Jer

12-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey, buddy - you sure these folks aren't transplanted Texans (where "over the top" is written into the state constitution)?

Seriously, these shots show little noise. I can't seem to make that happen with shots like this, without screwing 'em up in PP. How did you do this (if you dont mind sharing a trade secret)?

Jer
Actually they are originally Albanians or Armenians, I think from whence Dracula came! He was a bit over the top too
As far as no noise: It was bright enough to hand hold, used the Pentax 12-24 and the 540 flash. ISO mostly 400. What I went for was the overall shot rather than ultimate sharpness so I left the aperture at 4.0/4.5 for the most part. It wasn't as important to catch detail. I went back this evening and the plastic was off but I couldn't get near the place to shoot for all the people. To catch the animatronics I think I'll need my tripod.

NaCl(it helps when it's bright enough to read by!)H2O