Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pressure Plate?
Lens: Pentax 50mm f1.7 Camera: Pentax KM Photo Location: Basement ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F1.7 
Posted By: rockyhorror1297, 03-29-2022, 09:06 AM

Hello I posted about this before but I have a recent update. When I bought this camera first thing I noticed is that the pressure plate seemed a bit more wobbly than my other cameras but I didn’t think anything of it. When I got my rolls back from the camera almost all the shots were blurry and out of focus. At first I thought that the man I sent the camera to to get the prism replaced somehow messed with the focusing screen and that was the reason it was affecting my photos. But after reaching out to him he assured me that he put the correct prism in and didn’t mess with the focus screen but he told me to check my pressure plate. My question is how bad does a pressure plate need to be to cause out of focus negatives? Mine doesn’t seem bad it still seems to do the job of keeping the film in place as far as I can tell but it’s noticeably different from my other Pentax SLR and those all work fine. My other question is how easy is this to fix myself or should I send it off to a professional. I attached an example picture below. Thanks!!

Attached Images

Views: 262
03-29-2022, 10:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The pressure plate's job is to hold the film precisely at the focal plane. Being a bit springy would be normal, as it needs to push the emulsion side toward the shutter. If misaligned or not providing even pressure, then the film will not sit at the right place, and it won't be perfectly in focus across the entire field.