Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hawk Dropped By to Say Hi
Posted By: Venturi, 12-13-2008, 10:55 PM

So I'm taking a break with my father inlaw from installing some new plumbing at the house. I see a big blur out the back windows swoop up to the roof. A half minute later the "blur" swoops back down and perches on the back fence.
Couldn't believe my eyes and I dashed to the kitchen and swapped out the 17-50 for the 50-135, quietly cracked open the sliding door and was able to get several shots of him/her.

This is a 100% crop from about 30ft away. Minor PP to boost colors and a small tick of sharpness.
[imgwideleft]http://www.perzactly.com/posts/jdg05145.jpg[/imgwideleft]

And here's the original, no PP just converted to JPEG and resized.
[imgwideleft]http://www.perzactly.com/posts/jdg05145-1.jpg[/imgwideleft]

Not sure if it is a juvenile male or a female. I did notice a very large nest high up in one of the trees in our yard and am wondering if we have "The Hawks" as neighbors. If so, I am totally thrilled.
If any of you birders can clarify the species and sex that would be appreciated. We've already packed up all my wife's bird books to move in tomorrow, but she thinks it's a Red Tail?

Thanks for looking!
Views: 1,397
12-13-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How exciting Jim! I can just picture you running for the camera and swapping the lens as fast as you could. Whenever I do that, by the time I get back to the back screen door, the bird has vanished. Not that I get hawks landing on my fence. ;-) Good shots of a beautiful bird!
12-14-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice Venturi!

I've got a hawk dropping by the pines in my backyard. We have a number of feeders frequented by a lot of Wrens and Chickadees. You can see where this is going. The hawk drops in for a snack from time to time but I've yet to capture a decent image of him.

Tom G