Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
The Backyard Bully
Lens: DA* 60-250 w/HD 1.4x Teleconverter Camera: K-3II Photo Location: Boerne, TX ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: ToddK, 04-05-2022, 05:24 AM

Don't let his handsome good looks fool you. He is an ornery little beast who spends all of his waking hours chasing the poor, hapless black chinned hummingbird out of the yard.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 308
04-05-2022, 05:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Don't let his handsome good looks fool you. He is an ornery little beast who spends all of his waking hours chasing the poor, hapless black chinned hummingbird out of the yard.
Terrific shot, Todd. I've noticed hummingbirds are as combative as they are small. I've seen altercations in our back yard that remind me of movies featuring WWII dog fighting!

Jer
04-05-2022, 06:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jer! Yes, they are really good fliers and have unbelievable maneuverability. It is a wonder how they stay in such control at high speeds.
04-05-2022, 06:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even when you don't see this guy, he's hanging out somewhere close by to launch an attack on any trespassers. Placement of an extra feeder away from this area may be necessary to give other birds a chance to feed. Of course a new bully may show up there also. Nice capture. This ones red throat shows up nicely.

04-05-2022, 06:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Even when you don't see this guy, he's hanging out somewhere close by to launch an attack on any trespassers. Placement of an extra feeder away from this area may be necessary to give other birds a chance to feed. Of course a new bully may show up there also. Nice capture. This ones red throat shows up nicely.
Thanks Mike! My next-door neighbors have a feeder, but I don't see them over there much. I guess they like the high-quality sugar water that I provide better. I had two feeders in Norcal, and there was a male that wore himself to a frazzle flying back and forth to defend both of them. However, the other hummers were smart enough to slip in when he was drawn off by another one.
04-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You picture the very epitome of an obnoxious pugilist--he looks the very part!
Really good shot of him.
And I see that you cannot let the fences alone--really good image of that one too!
Angky.
04-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
You picture the very epitome of an obnoxious pugilist--he looks the very part!
Really good shot of him.
And I see that you cannot let the fences alone--really good image of that one too!
Angky.
Thanks Angky! As you know, I am never one to miss an opportunity to photograph a fence.