Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Yosemite Sunset from Glacier Point
Posted By: heliphoto, 12-14-2008, 11:34 AM

Two days ago I wanted to shoot the largest full moon of the year rising over the Yosemite high country. The weather looked iffy but I had nothing better to do, so I headed up to Glacier Point high on the west rim of Yosemite valley and set up next to several like minded Canikon shooters... The moon never showed but some nice light from sunset peeked through before we were forced to leave by a ranger as they were closing the road for the season and had to be sure none of us were locked in (the ranger was a really nice guy - gave us about 30 extra minutes while we all waited, hoping the moon would peek through the clouds)...

All shot with the K20D, RAW, with the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 and processed to various extents in Lightroom.

Last edited by heliphoto; 12-14-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: no write good.
Views: 2,906
12-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They are all outstanding shots Josh! Beautiful color in the cloud formations. I sure miss that country.

12-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Beautiful, beautiful shots -- love the detail of the rock and the purple light in the sky.
12-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Scott and sweet bay.
12-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really enjoyed this series. I can't think of when I've seen these views before, especially the one Half Dome. Well done.

12-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent series. very well exposed and you captured the mountains perfectly while retaining the wonderful colours of an incredible sky. beautiful.
12-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Very well done Josh... PP work is excellent and this shots are amazing. JIMBO
12-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I really enjoyed this series. I can't think of when I've seen these views before, especially the one Half Dome. Well done.
Thanks Steve. They were shot from a very commonly used viewpoint at Glacier Point, high above the valley floor, so I'm glad I was able to show you something you'd not seen before. The difference is maybe because most shots from there use wide angles to try to show the whole view.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Excellent series. very well exposed and you captured the mountains perfectly while retaining the wonderful colours of an incredible sky. beautiful.
Thanks Peter. The goal was the moonrise, but I knew this storm was blowing in and the backup plan was to hope for a sunset... even that seemed to have failed, as the light just sort of went out as the sun was enveloped by clouds... luckily, before dropping below the horizon for good, the sun popped out and gave us a final show.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Very well done Josh... PP work is excellent and this shots are amazing. JIMBO
Thanks JIMBO.