Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
The Saugus Ma. ospreys with a question.
Lens: Pentax 300mm DA lens Camera: k5IIs Photo Location: Saugus Ma. 
Posted By: charliezap, 04-11-2022, 07:08 AM

Hi gang. I'm having fun with the Pentax 300mm lens with my K5IIs taking shots of the bird life in my area. I'm having good results when they are around the nest but what can I tweak with the camera/lens setting to get them in focus when they are circling in the sky above without the camera "hunting" for focus.--charliezap.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 296
04-11-2022, 12:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice shots. You will likely need to use single point autofocus. For me, it's still difficult to keep birds in the center for focusing.
04-11-2022, 03:04 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also would use single point and continuous shooting -

QuoteQuote:
Continuous Shooting
Hi: 7 fps up to approx. 34 frames (JPG), up to approx. 26 frames (PEF/DNG), Lo: 2 fps until card is full (JPG), up to appox. 40 frames (PEF/DNG)
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-5-iis.html#ixzz7QBrcpgN8

in my experience you will miss shots but not all
04-11-2022, 06:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Your question is exactly the same question I have!
I have finally resorted to shutting off the auto-focus and going back to my never-perfected history of manually focusing. At least I don't waste time with the camera zooming back and forth, stop-to-stop.
But you got some very excellent shots of these birds.
Oh, forgot one thing... On a very bright day, I run the ISO up quite a bit, then use an f-stop of 13 -16, and let the shutter run about 300 or above. That helps a little bit.
(Back when I was first starting out, I didn't have an "automatic" aperture--they were just being introduced to the rich guys! That sure made bird shots difficult!)
Keep working on it. You've got some very nice shots.
Angky.

04-12-2022, 01:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey, Capn - I have the same issue with my K-3 and my 300. For some reason, it's not an issue with my K-1; in fact, the K-1/DA*300 combo allowed me to get birds in flight in good focus and with reasonable consistency for the first time in my life. My assumption is that the more advanced focusing tech on the K-1 simply works better with any lens, but is most noticeable with my 300. I don't keep up with new camera technology, but I'm betting that the stuff Pentax is building now, is better yet.

Jer