Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Cooper's Hawk
Lens: 55-300PLM+1.4XTC Camera: K3mk3 Photo Location: Home ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: joelbolden, 04-11-2022, 09:04 AM

A Cooper's Hawk stopped by my feeder yesterday for lunch. He decided on Mourning Dove.

Attached Images

Views: 355
04-11-2022, 09:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fantastic! I am impressed with the IQ using the TC on the 55-300 as I have heard it is not recommended. Did you MF or AF? Either way, great shot. I have seen a few hawks carrying off prey, and once watched in amazement as a small mammal screamed in terror as it was carried away, but have never caught it on camera! Nice job!
04-11-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tough for the Mourning Dove, but interesting to see. I watched a hawk snatch a bird off the power line once while on a walk. So far cats have been the dominant bird predators at my feeders. Nice shots of the hawk and prey.
04-11-2022, 06:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Your images sure tell sharply the story of that part of life!
Angky.

04-13-2022, 07:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Fantastic! I am impressed with the IQ using the TC on the 55-300 as I have heard it is not recommended. Did you MF or AF? Either way, great shot. I have seen a few hawks carrying off prey, and once watched in amazement as a small mammal screamed in terror as it was carried away, but have never caught it on camera! Nice job!
My TC1.4X AW stays welded to my K3iii along with the 55-300PLM. While some tele-converters can be iffy, this particular one is fully capable of functioning with modern Pentax lenses/cameras. I vaguely recall some remarks at forums about the TC/55-300PLM but can't recall the problem. Whatever they were describing doesn't apply here. There is no loss of IQ/picture quality that I(or others) can see. The pics were shot in AF. I've always used Tav with my DSLR's, but after reading a lot of discussion about the K3iii and it's AI(sort of) capabilities which work only in Auto mode, I've started to use the camera in Auto mode with the Custom Image also set to Auto; switching to Tav only when I want certain exposure affects. I do use the camera in Manual mode with the older Pentax SLR lenses; mainly when closeup shooting native wildflowers.