Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
13 Likes  #1
Photographing Ornsay Lighthouse After A Storm
Lens: Pentax 60-250mm F4 Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: Isle of Skye ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: Sunburn, 04-11-2022, 12:52 PM

Photographing a lighthouse just after stormy conditions is one thing, photographing the Ornsay Lighthouse after a storm passed over a much forgotten part of the Isle of Skye with snow capped mountains as the backdrop was just something else!

Here is the supporting video showing the location and the some additional images. If you enjoy please give me a like/thumbs up.

Attached Images

Views: 440
04-11-2022, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
-
Loyal Site Supporter

What a superb photo, Geoff.

I haven't watched your video yet, but seeing the photo and given the location, I most certainly will. It's many years since I visited Skye (the bridge hadn't even been built - it was still accessed by ferry)... it's a truly magical location.

The DA*60-250 is a grand lens. These days I don't have frequent enough need for longer focal lengths to justify its size and weight, so I generally rely on the less-optically-refined HD DA55-300 screw-drive. It gives nice results stopped down and suits my use-cases, but it doesn't match the DA*60-250 for image quality...

Thanks for posting

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-11-2022 at 01:15 PM.
04-11-2022, 01:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shot. Got this one at just the right time with the right light. Outstanding capture and nice video.

Last edited by MikeNArk; 04-11-2022 at 01:21 PM.
04-11-2022, 01:16 PM - 2 Likes   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
What a superb photo, Geoff.

I haven't watched your video yet, but seeing the photo and given the location, I most certainly will. It's many years since I visited Skye (the bridge hadn't even been built - it was still accessed by ferry)... it's a truly magical location.

The DA*60-250 is a grand lens. These days I don't have frequent enough need for longer focal lengths to justify its size and weight, so I generally rely on the less-optically-refined HD DA55-300 screw-drive. It gives nice results stopped down and suits my use-cases, but it doesn't match the DA*60-250 for image quality...

Thanks for posting
Thanks Mike,
The DA*60-250 is seldom off my K1, the weight is an issue but there a few lenses in pentax line up that I have used that dont give you a work out physically. Lugging around the 15-30mm and the Pentax HD FA 50mm F/1.4 SDM AW in the bag all at the same time as often made me think about hiring a Sherpa when up in the highlands.

---------- Post added 04-11-22 at 01:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Great shot. Got this one at just the right time with the right light. Outstanding capture.
Thank you. I couldnt believe my luck as the storm light built over the mountains and light house, right place right time. Honestly made up with the images captured.

04-11-2022, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brilliant shot and a very informative video. You show how important it is to have the 'right time and place' and back that up with the know-how to get THE image out of a multitude of possibilities. What drone were you using?
04-11-2022, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Vivid, vivid image!
And colors to match the whole mood.
Worked beautifully.
Absolutely stunning!
Angky.
04-11-2022, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, what a beautiful image Geoff! I will be watching your video first thing tomorrow, and I can't wait to see how this came together.

04-11-2022, 11:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Brilliant shot and a very informative video. You show how important it is to have the 'right time and place' and back that up with the know-how to get THE image out of a multitude of possibilities. What drone were you using?
Thank you PJ. I think a lot of it comes from the parts that are not recorded, like the planning and understanding (or trying too) the weather forecasts and what they might mean and bring conditions wise. Then there is a considerable degree of luck involved and stubbornness to go out and wait for what may not happen, sometimes hours on end. Its times like this that all the failures and no shows are made worth it. - Regards the Drone I use an DJI Air2S

---------- Post added 04-12-22 at 12:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Vivid, vivid image!
And colors to match the whole mood.
Worked beautifully.
Absolutely stunning!
Angky.
Thank you Angky. Im pleased to read that you liked.

---------- Post added 04-12-22 at 12:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Wow, what a beautiful image Geoff! I will be watching your video first thing tomorrow, and I can't wait to see how this came together.
Thank you ToddK - I hope you enjoy.
04-12-2022, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

amazing, brilliant , stunning !!!!!!!
04-12-2022, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, Geoff, an absolute stunner. I think this could make a (very) difficult puzzle so you may want to think of a potential side hustle here. - Jack
04-12-2022, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Geoff, the video was terrific! I really liked the drone footage at the beginning. I can't wait for the next one.
04-12-2022, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful image there Geoff.
I did watch the video, and then also watched your mushroom macro video. Very enjoyable and interesting viewing.

I get that you are using a 2-second timer to avoid vibration/mirror slap - but curious that you still use the shutter button manually, and don't use either a wired or remote shutter release combined with MU settings? Please, I am not trying to tell you how to suck eggs - your results speak for themselves, but still: curious.
04-13-2022, 11:38 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixxo2002 Quote
amazing, brilliant , stunning !!!!!!!
Well... thank you!

---------- Post added 04-13-22 at 11:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Wow, Geoff, an absolute stunner. I think this could make a (very) difficult puzzle so you may want to think of a potential side hustle here. - Jack
Dont you start Jack! hehe i have had a few people suggest exactly that! its so tempting to do as well... hrmmm The emotional side of me says go for it, the logical, business head says do some market research before committing!

---------- Post added 04-13-22 at 11:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Geoff, the video was terrific! I really liked the drone footage at the beginning. I can't wait for the next one.
Thank you Todd, I have always been a very conscious drone flier, never wanting to exceed my capabilities and what nots, but that does intend to restrict my usage of the drone, so, with my trip on skye one of the group has a much more relaxed attitude to flying (within the rules of course) but has no issues sending the drone out to sea so to speak! -- so I took a little encouragement from him and pushed my comfort zone on the drone flying that day and well you know what? he was right, and the result speaks for itself. I hope to say, expect more of that from me going forwards

---------- Post added 04-13-22 at 12:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Beautiful image there Geoff.
I did watch the video, and then also watched your mushroom macro video. Very enjoyable and interesting viewing.

I get that you are using a 2-second timer to avoid vibration/mirror slap - but curious that you still use the shutter button manually, and don't use either a wired or remote shutter release combined with MU settings? Please, I am not trying to tell you how to suck eggs - your results speak for themselves, but still: curious.
Thanks for the comment K2 to K5 - Its an interesting observation. I suspect its more down to being stuck in my ways then anything else. When shooting in live view and the mirror is already locked up, however the actual action of my pressing the shutter button has in the past lead to some induced movement/vibration to the camera and subsequently within the resultant image. The 2 Second timer, gets me around that. Now of course I can use a wired shutter release or even a wirelessone, but its one more thing to loose, carry around with me, and ultimately I feel would slow me down I suppose, albeit fractionally granted. The same I think applies when shooting optically..... Reading the above back to myself a few times, something is missing from my reply....

This has really got me pondering your comment and till now i have spent around 20 mins seriously considering your observation. I think I will correct myself, the real reason I use the two second timer and the shutter button over a remote, is the tactile enjoyment of touching and using my camera, and that final button press on the body is my commitment i'm making to the image!.

As I have never had issues with mirror slap on my K1 the 2 second timer is my safety net for vibration through the tripod of via my hand. I dont think a wireless or wired remote would give me that connection to the process of taking the image. Thank you for making me think!

Last edited by Sunburn; 04-13-2022 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Spelling & made post more succinct.
04-13-2022, 07:29 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sunburn Quote
Well... thank you!

---------- Post added 04-13-22 at 11:40 AM ----------

Thanks for the comment K2 to K5 - Its an interesting observation. I suspect its more down to being stuck in my ways then anything else. When shooting in live view and the mirror is already locked up, however the actual action of my pressing the shutter button has in the past lead to some induced movement/vibration to the camera and subsequently within the resultant image. The 2 Second timer, gets me around that. Now of course I can use a wired shutter release or even a wirelessone, but its one more thing to loose, carry around with me, and ultimately I feel would slow me down I suppose, albeit fractionally granted. The same I think applies when shooting optically..... Reading the above back to myself a few times, something is missing from my reply....

This has really got me pondering your comment and till now i have spent around 20 mins seriously considering your observation. I think I will correct myself, the real reason I use the two second timer and the shutter button over a remote, is the tactile enjoyment of touching and using my camera, and that final button press on the body is my commitment i'm making to the image!.

As I have never had issues with mirror slap on my K1 the 2 second timer is my safety net for vibration through the tripod of via my hand. I dont think a wireless or wired remote would give me that connection to the process of taking the image. Thank you for making me think!

Hee. You sound like the kind of photographer Pentax had in mind when espousing their SLR philosophy:

"3. We design cameras that allow our users to enjoy all the processes involved in taking a picture. We pursue every essential element involved in the joy of photography. From looking through the viewfinder to composing the image, focusing on the subject and releasing the shutter."
(Emphasis mine).

(from PENTAX PRINCIPLES | brand | RICOH IMAGING)

Thank you for your thoughtful response to my question.
04-15-2022, 01:52 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Hee. You sound like the kind of photographer Pentax had in mind when espousing their SLR philosophy:

"3. We design cameras that allow our users to enjoy all the processes involved in taking a picture. We pursue every essential element involved in the joy of photography. From looking through the viewfinder to composing the image, focusing on the subject and releasing the shutter."
(Emphasis mine).

(from PENTAX PRINCIPLES | brand | RICOH IMAGING)

Thank you for your thoughtful response to my question.
Yeah I suppose I do lol - It wasnt intentional mind you, I just really do enjoy being as hands on as possible in the process.