Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Boyce Thompson Arboretum in April
Lens: Pentax D FA 150-450mm Camera: K-3 III Photo Location: Superior, AZ 
Posted By: phx.david, 04-12-2022, 01:01 PM

Been really busy and not on here in too long. Getting ready to start heading to the mountains this week so I made a quick trip to the arboretum to test out my new to me 150-450 lens. So far, I'm impressed. The cardinals aren't the best, but they wouldn't cooperate by landing in the sunlight. I do really like the first one looking at me from the waterfall. The others showed me the potential of the lens. The green flower is a Puya which hasn't bloomed since 2008.

Views: 149
04-12-2022, 01:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to see your post. Glad that you acquired the 150-450 lens. I know you will put it to good use. All of the images have reasonably good detail and colors. The detail captured the cactus flower images, lizard, and butterfly images seems more evident. In use, what improvements have you noted so far?
04-12-2022, 02:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
In use, what improvements have you noted so far?
The sharpness is really impacted by shutter speed, same as the Sigma and really any long lens. I think the focus is faster, overall I would say the lens is a little sharper and the minimum focus distance is less which helped with the flower closeups. One of the things I'll have to get used to is it is a much heavier lens. I'll really have more input after my trip the end of this week. I use the macro lens a lot more at the arboretum than telephoto.
04-12-2022, 07:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You've posted some very nice images. (Makes me a bit jealous of your lens acquisition! )
I too prefer my 100mm macro over a long lens--especially a zoom.
Looking forward to seeing what you return with from your mountain trip.
Angky.

04-14-2022, 07:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
You've posted some very nice images. (Makes me a bit jealous of your lens acquisition! )I too prefer my 100mm macro over a long lens--especially a zoom.Looking forward to seeing what you return with from your mountain trip.Angky.
Thank you. Just hooked the trailer up and I'll leave after the traffic lets up.