Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Related Individuals
Posted By: mike star, 12-14-2008, 07:05 PM

Are the shots so poor that no one is prepared to comment? Quite a few views but no comments
at all?? I am happy for critical comments to be made as I want to learn from them.
Thanks
Mike

They were my first shots using my Pentax K10D with a Pentax 50mm F2 Manual focus lens.
The figures are by Patricia Piccinini were recently on display at the Robyn Oxley9 Gallery in
Sydney. The gallery was not lit brightly and I didn't use the camera flash.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x45/mikestar07/RelatedIndividuals006.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x45/mikestar07/RelatedIndividuals007.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x45/mikestar07/RelatedIndividuals011.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x45/mikestar07/RelatedIndividuals012.jpg

Your opinions would be appreciated,
Mike

Last edited by mike star; 12-15-2008 at 12:19 AM. Reason: More information
Views: 1,465
12-15-2008, 02:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Depends, when did you post the original message - got to give people time.

Anyway, the couple of things I see thru MY untrained eye are
1. White balance is way off - you might be able to fix thru s'ware.
2. Not sure about the focusing, seems a little soft to me.

Q: Is the child part of the exhibit? I think so. Looks like a nice exhibit - what was the name of the exhibit itself?
12-15-2008, 02:47 AM   #3
Damn Brit

JC's right about the WB being off and they are soft. You could have set the ISO higher so that you could close it down a bit and get more DOF.
One reason people might not respond is because you had posted links instead of attaching them to your thread. I know it's only another click but photographers are very visual (obviously) and also it helps when we can see the pictures together for comparison.
12-15-2008, 05:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
The child is not real and is also a "sculpture" by the artist. The materials she uses are Silicone, MDF board, human hair and leather.
I appreciate your feedback. The light ion the gallery was on the yellow side and that has influenced the white balance as well I believe.

The exhibition was called "Related Individuals".
Thanks again.

12-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked at these pictures earlier today and found the subject so interesting I googled the artist.
Unfortunately you have captured an image of someone else's work and I found it difficult to see past that. Not that there is anything wrong with capturing art, but as to making constructive criticism on your image, your images haven't really done any justice to this wonderful artist. Not personal, just MHO
Taff
12-15-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Patricia Piccinini
12-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Mike,
Thanks for posting pics of this unusual exhibit. They're so realistic it's kind of spooky. Wasn't quite sure when I first looked at it if the boy was real or not. The skin texture can even be seen on the boy's face. Like the closeups the best. Good shots for them to be the first with your new camera. Much can be done with PP, but if your like me, I'm on a slow learning curve.
Arvin
12-16-2008, 12:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by acbees Quote
Mike,
Thanks for posting pics of this unusual exhibit. They're so realistic it's kind of spooky. Wasn't quite sure when I first looked at it if the boy was real or not. The skin texture can even be seen on the boy's face. Like the closeups the best. Good shots for them to be the first with your new camera. Much can be done with PP, but if your like me, I'm on a slow learning curve.
Arvin
Hi there,
Like you from the sound of it I'm also on a slow/steep learning curve. Thanks for your comments.
I wasn't trying to be particularly creative with those photos. I had just received the lens and thought I should give it a try at the first opportunity. I was visiting the Gallery and decided to take the camera in case they let me take some photographs. I wasn't used to the lens at all but just wanted to get a couple of low light shots to see how well it captured them. The camera was set on Auto ISO and I think it selected 200 and 400 for those shots. It was also set on Auto White Balance.
Cheers