Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Hummingbird Moth
Lens: Sigma 170-500 DG Camera: Pentax K-5IIs Photo Location: Conway, AR ISO: 1250 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: MikeNArk, 04-22-2022, 01:51 PM

Feeding on Daffodils. On a neighborhood walk, we found this Hummingbird Moth feeding on Daffodils growing on the roadside. Several views. Shutter speeds were 1/500 and 1/800. Edit: Based on comments from knowledgeable forum members, these images are of the "Sphinx Moth".

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by MikeNArk; 04-22-2022 at 05:49 PM.
Views: 702
04-22-2022, 03:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of the first exciting photos I took after rediscovering Pentax cameras and my love of photography was of a hummingbird moth. 60 years old and I had never seen one before carrying my new K50 out on a hike I would never have taken until then.

Thanks for posting this!
04-22-2022, 05:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots, Mike. But this one is one of the sphinx moths. All "hummingbird" clearwing moths lack scales on the wings which gives them their name. Otherwise they look similar. - Jack
04-22-2022, 05:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
One of the first exciting photos I took after rediscovering Pentax cameras and my love of photography was of a hummingbird moth. 60 years old and I had never seen one before carrying my new K50 out on a hike I would never have taken until then.

Thanks for posting this!
Thanks for your comment. Glad that the images evoked that memory. Forum member, jbinph, has advised me that this is a Sphinx moth. I know that is correct, because I now member looking it up in the past.

04-22-2022, 05:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Nice shots, Mike. But this one is one of the sphinx moths. All "hummingbird" clearwing moths lack scales on the wings which gives them their name. Otherwise they look similar. - Jack
Oh, and right you are! I guess I was mistaking the identity too. The one I shot a few years ago had clear wings so it was a Hummingbird Moth. I never noted the distinction.

Now that you've pointed it out I'm fairly sure it was the Sphinx (are there variants?) that would divebomb my younger son if he got too close when they were feeding at daybreak. Sometimes a half dozen at one time on the bush near the front door just as the sun was beginning to rise. Sound right?
04-22-2022, 05:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Thanks for viewing, commenting and correctly identifying this moth. I remember that I had looked this up in the past as soon as I read your comment. Imagine that, I forgot.😁 I do take photos of the clear winged hummingbird moth at the nature preserve each summer. I guess that I don't see the Sphinx moth as often.
04-22-2022, 06:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Feeding on Daffodils. On a neighborhood walk, we found this Hummingbird Moth feeding on Daffodils growing on the roadside. Several views. Shutter speeds were 1/500 and 1/800. Edit: Based on comments from knowledgeable forum members, these images are of the "Sphinx Moth".
Great shots nice colors also very sharp.keep them coming.

04-22-2022, 06:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very good series of Macro shots of an insect I haven't seen before.
04-22-2022, 06:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhanz Quote
Great shots nice colors also very sharp.keep them coming.
Thanks for your kind comments. I'll keep shooting and see what I get. I've been enjoying the photos from your trip. Keep them coming also.
04-22-2022, 07:29 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Really excellent shots of nature in action.
Love the interaction between the amazing-looking moth and the very pretty flower.
(For another identity question: Are those daffodils, or jonquils? I've had corrections quite few times, but can't recall which is which.)
Angky.
04-22-2022, 07:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Really excellent shots of nature in action.
Love the interaction between the amazing-looking moth and the very pretty flower.
(For another identity question: Are those daffodils, or jonquils? I've had corrections quite few times, but can't recall which is which.)
Angky.
Thank you very much. To be honest, I've always thought the flowers were the same. I just read that the jonquil is a specific type of daffodil ( Narcissus jonquilla). I make plenty of errors in my posts and flowers, flower parts and spelling errors all rank highly.😁
04-23-2022, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautifully constructed wildlife series. I always enjoy viewing Mid-Air Refueling. Very nice work and many thanks for sharing.

Tony
04-23-2022, 06:06 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Beautifully constructed wildlife series. I always enjoy viewing Mid-Air Refueling. Very nice work and many thanks for sharing.

Tony
Thank you much Tony. Mid-Air refueling is an apt description.
04-23-2022, 10:50 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like these. Great shots. If they're anything like hummingbirds, not easy to catch.
04-23-2022, 08:22 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phx.david Quote
I really like these. Great shots. If they're anything like hummingbirds, not easy to catch.
Thank you. They move around a lot from flower to flower but are not near as skittish as hummingbirds.