Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Technique needs work, but the timing was pretty good
Lens: K200/4 Camera: K5 
Posted By: MSL, 04-23-2022, 09:46 PM

I don't get much time to use my camera, and we had mostly rain this past week. But I did get an hour or so at the local duck pond and did what I could in the somewhat cold weather. I had three lenses with me, a K200/4, F100-300 and DA21. The pond offers a bunch of static or slow moving targets to aim at, but every once in a while you get a bit of action. However, since I was mostly just focused on taking shots as best I could, I didn't tweak settings too much.

One early conclusion, even looking at photos in camera, is that the F100-300 (or at least my copy) is useless at the very long end, which is where I needed it most to get more reach than the K200. The short of it is I won't be posting any photos from that lens. Although in its defence, the copy I have has a denting ring so unlike the K200, I had to use it without a hood.

All that said, here's a copy of sequences I did manage to get. I'd say the timing was good, even if the technique is a work in progress.

THE GREAT RACE

1. Getting a head start

2. Keeping the lead

3. Trying to keep up

4. Hitting the brakes

5. Calling it quits

LOOKING FOR FOOD

1. Scanning the water

2. Spotting something of interest

3. Dive! Dive! Dive!

Views: 227
04-24-2022, 03:10 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series and good work with a manual focus lens. Your experience witht he F100-300 matches that of other users.
04-24-2022, 08:05 AM   #3
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Nice series and good work with a manual focus lens. Your experience witht he F100-300 matches that of other users.
Thanks Ole. At F100 it is a pretty good lens and from a few shots at that range, the richness of the colors are consistent with what you get from most Pentax lenses. What I need to do it a test series to see the maximum useful focal length. On my A70-210, I found it dropped off around 180. With the F100-300, I think it is good up to about 210, so it used to give me more useful range above my A zoom, until I recently snagged the K200/4 and the stunning Tak 200/3.5. But it may even be good beyond that, maybe up to 240.
04-24-2022, 03:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Entertaining series of images. I liked the progressive race photos and the nose dive. The images are good. Were all manual focus?

04-24-2022, 03:38 PM   #5
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Were all manual focus?
Yes. It is a MF lens. Likely shot between f8 and f11. I'm not sure how much I adjusted focus as I tracked the motion, although I sometimes manage to do so