Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Coastal Inversion before and after
Posted By: Gareth, 04-26-2022, 12:35 PM

So where I live the main road etc is higher altitude wise than the village I live in and as you drive down the road to the village, you're greeted with a wonderful view of the village below, the Bristol channel and then England opposite. A few days ago we had, what can only be described as a cloud inversion over the sea. Thinking it would be great to shoot I headed down to the water edge:

The above image as well as the panoramic image below ( 7 images I think from memory) shows the clouds over the sea:

Following on from other post regarding a missed image, this set also has one. When I thought the light was gone as the sun was down past the horizon, I placed the filters back into their pouch, camera back in the backpack, wiped the tripod legs dry with a microfibre drying cloths, checked everything was there and nothing left and headed for home via the break in the cliffs we have here. The whole process probably 10 minutes max.
As I walked through the gap in the cliff and looked left I couldn't believe it, the clouds had rolled in and the distant chimney from the decommissioned power station was being enveloped by arms of thick cloud. It truly looked like something from an Avengers movie with how these arms of cloud were consuming the chimney, leaving parts exposed and visible arms engulfing it.

After a loud expletive I ran literally 20 seconds to the top of the cliff where the coastal path was to get an uninterrupted view of it and take an image but within that 20 or so seconds, the chimney was gone. Gutted didn't cut it. It's still burned in my minds eye and for me, probably would have been one of the best images I could ever have shot - a shot in a million. GUTTED!

Still, I got the camera out and the clouds had now well and truly made land fall and I was also now in them. So I managed to shoot these images

Views: 208
04-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those are still some beautiful images. A very different view than what I'm used to.
04-26-2022, 12:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very nice series of great costal photos showing the weather phenomena. Striking changes in conditions documented well in your images. Good catch and good work.
04-26-2022, 07:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The changing weather on sea shores always makes for interesting images and interesting losses--my experience.
Angky.