Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
From Saint John NB............
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 12-16-2008, 12:18 AM

........to Digby NS. It was a cloudy, rainy morning but I had a few minutes before heading for the ferry dock so I stopped and took a few pictures.

and another ferry lineup

While waiting I went and watched the ferry come in

Approching the dock the bow opens but it looks like it is attacking the dock

Saint John from the harbour

A cruise ship was in port

All with K10D, 16-45 and 50-200

Comments are always welcome and appreciated.
Views: 3,550
12-16-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like looking at the week by week trip you had Henrich... I really like the first one and the last one. Thanks for sharing. JIMBO
12-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
JMR
Veteran Member

Like Jimbo. love to hear about your travels. Get to see Canada from a wonderful photographer. Your images are always so vivid and sharp; and even when the weather does not cooperate, your images still have an alluring quality because they are so well composed. One question Heinrich, do you do anything to enhance sharpness or resolution, because as I said, your images always appear so vivid?

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 12-16-2008 at 11:50 AM.
12-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I like looking at the week by week trip you had Henrich... I really like the first one and the last one. Thanks for sharing. JIMBO
Thank you Jim and you are welcome.

Take care,

12-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Like Jimbo. love to hear about your travels. Get to see Canada from a wonderful photographer. Your images are always so vivid and sharp; and even when the weather does not ccooperate, your images still have an alluring quality becaue they are so well composed. One question Heinrich, do you do anything to enhance sharpness or resolution, because as I said, your images always appear so vivid?

JMR
Thank you for the kind words, it is appreciated.

I turn in-camera sharpening to it's lowest setting. After curves and contrast adjustments in Adobe Raw I do very little sharpening in Photoshop, typically: Amount 25% Radius 0.6 Threshold 0.

There are very many options as to sharpening and contrast enhancements and I do not in any way consider myself an expert in any of them. It becomes a matter of trial and error depending on what you want to do with the image. But paramount to the whole process is a well exposed in focus image without motion blur.

Take care,
12-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thank you for sharing images from the other side of Atlantic. Sometimes I feel like being in holiday too

Nice series of moments! My heart gave an extra beat to first one.
12-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
jeffkpotter

Nice images Heinrich. I love the ships, especially the one that looks like it's about to bite a chunk out of the dock.

12-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice series Heinrich. I especially like the perspective/depth of the bridge.

Paul
12-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Going through your images is always like a road trip. So much fun with great perspective.

The congested traffic does look ironic with some people walking on the road in your shot
12-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the first one Heinrich, and the tug boat is great too. I agree with the comments saying that your pics always take us for a ride. Thanx for sharing them...
12-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Heinrich,

Did you get to see the river run backwards while you were in St. Johns? The tides do such incredible things in that bay.

I once took the ferry from Digby to St. Johns (it left at 1:00 AM and I got to St.Johns at 8:00 AM).

Great shots, they brought back many found memories.

Ray
12-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful shots as usual Heinrich, I love the one of the ferry about ready to eat the dock!

NaCl(now I REALLY want to retire!)H2O
12-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Did you get to see the river run backwards while you were in St. Johns? The tides do such incredible things in that bay.

I once took the ferry from Digby to St. Johns (it left at 1:00 AM and I got to St.Johns at 8:00 AM).

Great shots, they brought back many found memories.

It's Saint John btw...St.John's is in Newfoundland quite a distance away. The water you're talking about is the world famous Reversing Falls. It's where the Saint John River empties into the Bay of Fundy.

The first shot Heinrich posted here is right there @ Reversing Falls bridge.

I am curious Heinrich, when you took these shots, the cruise ships don't come to Saint John after about mid October. Had I known you were coming this way, we could have maybe hooked up and you could have seen some of the better sites around town.

Next time you ever come this way, PM me, and I will give you a proper tour of our beautiful city.
12-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Maritimer,

Sorry for the mistake, I didn't mean to offend. I've been so many places that sometimes the names do get mixed up (partly due to lack of attention and partly due to the fact that the little gray cells aren't as plentiful as they used to be, LOL). St. John is a beautiful city as are the Maritimes as a whole.

Ray
12-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice series Heinrich great to see that your finger is not left to idle

cheers