Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Debugging
Camera: iPhone XS Photo Location: Garage 
Posted By: Sailor, 05-14-2022, 06:46 AM

Texas bugs seem determined to end their lives by smashing themselves into the front my car while I'm doing a bit of spirited () driving in the country. Dedicated car guy that I am, I always remove their remains (RIP) as soon as I get home with some detailer a bit of elbow grease.

Jer

Views: 330
05-14-2022, 07:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really like your dedication. I wish I had more to keep up with the bugs and the Hill Country dirt that seems to just fall out of the sky and mess up my truck on a daily basis.
05-14-2022, 07:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here it has been a daily battle with bugs and pollen. My son and daughter-in-law keep their Mustangs spotless and in the garage.
05-14-2022, 05:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bugs are a real bugaboo . Do you use a ceramic polish to get such a beautiful look ?

05-14-2022, 05:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cleaning them off as soon as you can is good as the acid in their bodies eats into the clear coat.
05-14-2022, 06:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I really like your dedication. I wish I had more to keep up with the bugs and the Hill Country dirt that seems to just fall out of the sky and mess up my truck on a daily basis.
Enjoying cars is a hobby for me, so I don't mind taking care of 'em. My wife and I are retired, and there are three cars and only two of us, so our cars spend most of their lives in the garage. When we travel, we fly - so we probably don't put more than 10 or 11 thousand miles on the three of them combined. Still, I didn't buy them to save for someone else, so I play with 'em as much as life allows!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Here it has been a daily battle with bugs and pollen. My son and daughter-in-law keep their Mustangs spotless and in the garage.
We had a terrible oak pollen problem this year - it's always bad and a pain in the a--, but this year was unbelievable!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Bugs are a real bugaboo . Do you use a ceramic polish to get such a beautiful look ?
They are, indeed. I've not used any ceramic products up to this point. For some time, I've used Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax (a synthetic, very hydrophobic wax) a couple of times a year. In between, after every wash, I use Ultimate Detailer which maintains the shine and gloss between waxes. I also use the Detailer for removing "fresh" bugs and bird droppings on an otherwise clean car; the stuff evidently has some surfactant in it to aid the process.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Cleaning them off as soon as you can is good as the acid in their bodies eats into the clear coat.
You're right, my friend. I get the suckers off as soon as possible; I can't sleep knowing an enzyme-oozing bug carcass is stuck on a car!

Jer
05-15-2022, 01:51 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Texas bugs seem determined to end their lives by smashing themselves into the front my car
Here in the Highlands we fit such things as Deer Whistles, this allegedly stops Highland wild beasts doing the same thing.

These whistles start to emit ultrasonic sounds once you’re driving over 30mph, the whistle supposedly gives the deer advance notice, making it stop and assess its surroundings.

Maybe they manufacture a Texas Bug version.

05-15-2022, 05:58 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Here in the Highlands we fit such things as Deer Whistles, this allegedly stops Highland wild beasts doing the same thing.

These whistles start to emit ultrasonic sounds once you’re driving over 30mph, the whistle supposedly gives the deer advance notice, making it stop and assess its surroundings.

Maybe they manufacture a Texas Bug version.
They should! A Bug Whistle could create a fortune for its inventor! Hhhhmmmmm . . . . . . .

By the way, deer whistles are used a lot in the U.S. My father in law hit a deer - long ago in Illinois - and used deer whistles thereafter. Lots of folks use 'em in Michigan, where deer are big and massive.

Jer