Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Route 66 - abandoned wigwam
Lens: 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 Camera: K-1 Mk I Photo Location: Route 66 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Ken Lee, 05-24-2022, 09:04 AM

Red Wigwam
~~~~~
What is your favorite historic place along Route 66? This is an abandoned wigwam in the once-popular dome-shaped Meteor City Trading Post along historic Route 66 in Arizona east of Winslow. I illuminated the structure with a handheld ProtoMachines LED2 during the exposure. This was part of a three-night trip with night photographer Mike Cooper, exploring some of the places along historic Route 66 and the deserts of the Southwest. This photo will probably appear in my third book of night photography and history.
~~~~~
Pentax K-1/28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. 104 seconds f/8 ISO 200. February 2022.
Views: 351
05-24-2022, 09:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish that I could make that trip. I look forward to your posts. I saw that image on Facebook. It makes a pretty shot with the light coming out the opening. That wigwam looks like it is in surprisingly good condition. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by MikeNArk; 05-24-2022 at 10:02 AM.
05-24-2022, 10:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember visiting there when it was open many years ago as a child. Beautiful shot. Thank you for sharing
05-24-2022, 07:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good treatment of a good choice.
Angky

05-25-2022, 09:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I wish that I could make that trip. I look forward to your posts. I saw that image on Facebook. It makes a pretty shot with the light coming out the opening. That wigwam looks like it is in surprisingly good condition. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you very much!! Glad you saw it on FB too. I lost my previous accounts, and am now happy that anyone sees any of my stuff.

The wigwam did look like it was in decent condition.

---------- Post added 05-25-22 at 09:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by phx.david Quote
I remember visiting there when it was open many years ago as a child. Beautiful shot. Thank you for sharing
That must bring back some memories then. Thanks for your kind words.

---------- Post added 05-25-22 at 09:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Good treatment of a good choice.
Angky
Thank you!!
05-25-2022, 11:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love captures with historical significance. Did you discover any historical information on this wigwam; date of construction, history of occupancy, etc.? Good shot - I like the use of light.
05-26-2022, 12:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Night time photography is a great method in several ways . Your control of light is thoughtful creative and a great way to keep cool . TFS

05-26-2022, 02:26 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GEEEEZZZZZZ! What an incredibly interesting image. I am impressed with the settings. Nearly two minutes long and I have to wonder how you knew to set the lens @ f/8. Well executed and

many thanks for sharing. ) Tony
05-26-2022, 10:52 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RJDavis-OK Quote
I love captures with historical significance. Did you discover any historical information on this wigwam; date of construction, history of occupancy, etc.? Good shot - I like the use of light.
It began operation in 1938 and was operated as the Sharber Service Station initially. And just to be clear, "Meteor City" was never an actual city. That was simply the name of the trading post (after being Sharber, obviously).

Thank you very much. I love light painting during the exposure. I hope that we talk about that some more during the Nightaxians podcast.

---------- Post added 05-26-22 at 10:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Night time photography is a great method in several ways . Your control of light is thoughtful creative and a great way to keep cool . TFS
Thanks. One of the fascinating things about light painting at night is that it gives you so much control over the light. Much like the director of a movie, you can control what stays in shadow, what is highlighted, what color, what angle (as much as that's possible), mood, and so forth.

---------- Post added 05-26-22 at 11:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
GEEEEZZZZZZ! What an incredibly interesting image. I am impressed with the settings. Nearly two minutes long and I have to wonder how you knew to set the lens @ f/8. Well executed and

many thanks for sharing. ) Tony
I suppose that comes from experience. F/8 is generally near the sharpest a lens can get. And during a full moon, I generally know that I can photograph between 2-4 minutes at f/8 ISO 200 and get a decent exposure. And yeah, 2-4 minutes is a lot of latitude, but it depends on the position of the moon and your surroundings and atmospheric conditions. But it's also because you don't have to be super precise to get a decent exposure. That said, unless it's absurdly dark, I usually stop at about three minutes for a single exposure. If there's enough interest, perhaps talking about exposure is something we can discuss on our Nightaxians YouTube Podcast show.

Anyway, thank you very much!

Last edited by Ken Lee; 05-26-2022 at 11:04 PM.
05-27-2022, 04:05 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're lucky you never had any encounter with mountain lions, rattlers, bats, scorpions or tarantulas at night. I saw all of these critters more than once at night from Guadalupe Mountains Nat'l Park in Texas, all over New Mexico and Arizona and in Southern California.

I had to flee bat attacks more than once. They came banging on the steel top of my van for some unknown reason in Chiricahua Nat'l Monument in Arizona and Death Valley Nat'l Park in California. Maybe they don't like its dark blue color ... lol ! A rattler was hiding just under a bush 3 feet from my van in the Jumbo Rocks campground of Joshua Tree Nat'l Park. Mountain lions came near my van in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California, these are the animals I fear the most.

Stay alert and wary at night in the Desert !
05-28-2022, 06:58 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
You're lucky you never had any encounter with mountain lions, rattlers, bats, scorpions or tarantulas at night. I saw all of these critters more than once at night from Guadalupe Mountains Nat'l Park in Texas, all over New Mexico and Arizona and in Southern California.

I had to flee bat attacks more than once. They came banging on the steel top of my van for some unknown reason in Chiricahua Nat'l Monument in Arizona and Death Valley Nat'l Park in California. Maybe they don't like its dark blue color ... lol ! A rattler was hiding just under a bush 3 feet from my van in the Jumbo Rocks campground of Joshua Tree Nat'l Park. Mountain lions came near my van in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California, these are the animals I fear the most.

Stay alert and wary at night in the Desert !
I feel VERY lucky. Mountain lions would concern me too. I have had bats fly past me, scaring the crap out of me, but that's been about it. No bat attacks or anything like that, which would not be good.

I've had encounters with deer, burros, birds, bats, and angry weirdos. So far, the angry weirdos concern me the most.
05-29-2022, 02:55 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Lee Quote
I've had encounters with deer, burros, birds, bats, and angry weirdos. So far, the angry weirdos concern me the most.
Ha Ha ! I saw some of those too (burros, red deer, coyotes) but didn't feel threatened. Weirdos with guns (VietNam veterans on booze) came near me once in Death Valley during the evening and it was the worst encounter. Stay safe !!

Best Regards
05-29-2022, 03:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I feel VERY lucky. Mountain lions would concern me too. I have had bats fly past me, scaring the crap out of me, but that's been about it. No bat attacks or anything like that, which would not be good.

Alcohol (or drug) fueled weirdos are easily the worst and most diverse hazards I have encountered in the desert .
05-29-2022, 10:17 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Ha Ha ! I saw some of those too (burros, red deer, coyotes) but didn't feel threatened. Weirdos with guns (VietNam veterans on booze) came near me once in Death Valley during the evening and it was the worst encounter. Stay safe !!

Best Regards
Sure. So far, every single angry weirdo encounter, or at least weirdos in general, have occurred in Arizona. Here's an article I wrote on this very thing for Photofocus.

---------- Post added 05-29-22 at 10:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Alcohol (or drug) fueled weirdos are easily the worst and most diverse hazards I have encountered in the desert .
Yeah, but far. As I mention above, the only encounters of this sort I've had were in Arizona.
05-29-2022, 12:47 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure. So far, every single angry weirdo encounter, or at least weirdos in general, have occurred in Arizona.
I had a few encounters with weirdos over the years I visited the American Southwest (from 1978 to the present), but always in California. I drive a Dodge Grand Caravan with a Quebec license plate. The "motto" on the plate (Je me souviens) is written in French and means "I remember" (the British brutal invasion and treatment of our French ancestors in 1759). Nobody seems to have ever seen a Quebec plate before and nobody knows where Quebec is.

I was once taking pictures of a beautiful sunset over the Salton Sea, parked safely along US Route 111, when a US Border Patrol truck stopped and the Officer asked somewhat abruptly what I was doing there. He thought my van was sporting a Mexican plate as it was not written in English and he was checking I was not doing or planning any bad deed. I answered I was taking pictures of a nice sunset. I had to show him my images on the digital camera screen and, after I showed him my Canadian passport, he seemed confused. He had no idea Quebec was a part of Canada and I'm not sure he knew where Canada was. What are they learning in High School geography lessons ?

Regards