Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Foreign Body (night photo of...well, this is just weird...)
Lens: 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 Camera: K-1 Mk I Photo Location: Mojave Desert ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Ken Lee, 05-26-2022, 11:26 PM

Foreign Body
~~~~~
Many of you have strong opinions about art installations in the desert. This night photo shows the work "Foreign Body". This is an art installation of a gigantic female figure created by Varga Weisz through High Desert Test Sites, located in Wonder Valley near Joshua Tree National Park. This sculpture depicts a woman who has been pierced by a tree, representing nature and its slow mutilation by humans. I must say that it often doesn't feel very slow. And yes, the tree looks rather phallic. Perhaps intentionally? HDTS is a non-profit organization that supports immersive experiences and exchanges. I illuminated the scene with a handheld light during this long exposure night photo during a nearly full moon.
~~~~~
(Plate 7528) Pentax K-1/28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. 57 seconds f/8 ISO 400. May 2022.
Views: 424
05-27-2022, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Another fantastic image, Ken. Really excellent work.

Personally, I'm not a fan of art installations in nature's spaces... I think we've messed (and continue to mess) with our environment more than enough, and in those spaces remaining that have been subject to minimal human interference, I find it somewhat obscene to install something that - however thought-provoking and merit-worthy artistically - is so out of kilter with the surroundings. That said, it doesn't affect my feelings towards your photo. I love it
05-27-2022, 06:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Personally, I'm not a fan of art installations in nature's spaces... I think we've messed (and continue to mess) with our environment more than enough, and in those spaces remaining that have been subject to minimal human interference, I find it somewhat obscene to install something that - however thought-provoking and merit-worthy artistically - is so out of kilter with the surroundings. That said, it doesn't affect my feelings towards your photo. I love it
What Mike said.

Jer
05-27-2022, 08:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific capture, but I have to admit it is quite a bizarre sight in the desert. I'm not sure that I would want to happen upon this "Foreign Body" in the desert, but I certainly wouldn't pass up the photo opportunity if I did. For good or bad, it cries out to be documented.

05-28-2022, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Thanks, super kind of you to say.

I'm okay with art installations in space....particularly if they're temporary, as this one and the other one with the giant letters are. It depends on the execution.

I feel, however, that there is a more visceral reaction (mostly against) art installations that are in the desert because of its starkness/openness. It's more jolting in many respects. But it can also sometimes be more effective (see Burning Man when it's really done well).

This one feels particularly incongruous, and although a gifted artist, this one doesn't resonate with me as much in its execution. I love what it stands for, but it's not quite my thing. I have another photo of this in which I have it paired with a Texaco tank, and I think it drives the point the artist is trying to make home a bit more.

And as far as offensive stuff in the desert goes, I am more offended by Superfund sites, rampant greed in the form of over-development, vandalism, burning down abandoned structures, giant weed farms that suck up all the resources, dumping garbage, deforestation in the hills above the desert floor, and other things more so than art installations.

Well, crap, now I've probably stirred up a hornet's nest....
11-20-2023, 02:18 PM   #6

Agreed- weird- but well photographed!
11-20-2023, 05:12 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I must admit I can't say I'm a fan... and without your intro, I'd no idea what this is all about.

In fact I still don't think I'm any the wiser, but as others have said... that if I had come across this I would have photographed it too.

11-20-2023, 05:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^^^^^^^^^^ what KD said, and without Ken's explanation I don't think I'd have identified the, er, appendage as a tree.
11-29-2023, 05:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
^^^^^^^^^^ what KD said, and without Ken's explanation I don't think I'd have identified the, er, appendage as a tree.
I don't believe I would have as well.