Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Comicon 2022
Lens: 43mm Limited Camera: K1 Photo Location: Convention Center ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F1.9 
Posted By: bad2thegnome, 05-31-2022, 06:43 PM

I have been practicing working with cosplayers at cons. I am trying to get better at portrait work but large crowds, and relying on natural light can prove to be difficult sometimes. These 3 shots were in a small hallway that happened to not have any people at the time. Cosplay of Sailor Moon. I enjoy the 43mm limited and it really has made me not as interested in the DFA 50 or DFA 85 as it yields such great results. Fantastic lens in low light situations. Go easy on me I am just an amateur lol

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 525
05-31-2022, 07:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am always seeing photos of entertainers taken at Comicon. How big is the event each year? Your images look good to me, especially since you had no control over the scene and lighting. Thanks for posting.
05-31-2022, 07:13 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I am always seeing photos of entertainers taken at Comicon. How big is the event each year? Your images look good to me, especially since you had no control over the scene and lighting. Thanks for posting.
Thank you for your kind words! I really appreciate it. Every now and again you see someone with an off-camera flash setup but usually, I feel like those complicate the situation. It can be impossible to find areas without people in your background but I usually shoot with a shallow depth of field to cover up the people in the background if possible. The event this year was HUGE. It had been cancelled 3 years in a row due to covid so there were a lot of people for this first event back. It was a complete blast.
05-31-2022, 08:53 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good stuff, Bad2theGnome.

You can see why others use a flash, because that way the subject is brighter than the background. We don't want what's outside the window to compete with the terrific efforts of the cosplayers.

That 43 certainly is versatile!

06-01-2022, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They sure go to some trouble to act the part. Very nice work on your part to get the images.
06-01-2022, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Good stuff, Bad2theGnome.

You can see why others use a flash, because that way the subject is brighter than the background. We don't want what's outside the window to compete with the terrific efforts of the cosplayers.

That 43 certainly is versatile!
Thank you, I appreciate it! Next time I will be bringing an off camera flash setup with my umbrellas and setup in a hallway like this. I think there are some fantastic cosplays out there that I could be getting photos of.
09-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, nice to see another Pentaxian doing cosplay photos. Yeah, it's tricky to get some nice, isolated photos inside convention centers. It all comes down to timing. Get there early before the huge crowds, and be lucky enough to have some cosplayers around while it's still relatively empty. A lot of photographers usually hang out outside the convention center where the scenery is better, and you have a little more control over the situation.

For your photos, I would like to see a bit of more work done in post processing, mainly lifting up the shadows or even the exposure just a bit. A lot of these characters are about pretty, bright colors.

For the setup, try to take advantage of the window lighting. It's a bit softer and can produce some dramatic lighting if your subject is positioned right.

Will you be going to the L.A. Comic Con?

09-11-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting event. Some really good efforts are quite often....
« Castle | Who loves »