Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Old Man Mountain From A Different Perspective
Lens: HD Pentax DA 16-85mm Camera: K-70 Photo Location: High Sierra Nevada Mountains ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: angkymac, 06-02-2022, 06:31 PM

I keep wanting to get up to the top of that mountain in the distance--"Old Man Mountain" is its name, if I've identified it correctly.
A guy could probably find some interesting views and things from up there.
But it is a huge chunk of granite and I might be too old to get up there any more!
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 262
06-02-2022, 06:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I, also would not attempt the climb. How did that boulder get there? This is a beautiful scene with a massive centerpiece. Impressive shot. I like the view that is unobstructed by the boulder. Thanks for showing this unique scene.
06-03-2022, 06:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the composition very much. The mountain in the distance (which I'm too old to climb) puts the rock in context.

Jer
06-03-2022, 06:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I, also would not attempt the climb. How did that boulder get there? This is a beautiful scene with a massive centerpiece. Impressive shot. I like the view that is unobstructed by the boulder. Thanks for showing this unique scene.
That boulder is one puzzling item!
I'm sure some people have figured it out, but I certainly have not. And there are other such rocks scattered in various places around this part of the mountains.
I've read something about the suggested geology of the area, that it is an ancient riverbed that was upthrust such that the bottom of the river is now the top of the mountains with all the mud washed away!
Baffling!
Thanks for the note!
Angky.

---------- Post added 06-03-22 at 06:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I like the composition very much. The mountain in the distance (which I'm too old to climb) puts the rock in context.

Jer
Doesn't it though!
That distant mountain is itself huge--something like 5500 feet elevation at the base (if I recall), and 7500 or more at the top.
And now here is this big rock sitting here in front of it, on another bald chunk of rock, being dwarfed by that mountain, yet the boulder is actually a good deal taller than I.
Interesting geology!
Thanks for noting it.
Angky.

---------- Post added 06-03-22 at 06:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

Jer
Doesn't it though!
That distant mountain is itself huge--something like 5500 feet elevation at the base (if I recall), and 7500 or more at the top.
And now here is this big rock sitting here in front of it, on another bald chunk of rock, being dwarfed by that mountain, yet the boulder is actually a good deal taller than I.
Interesting geology!
Thanks for noting it.
Angky.