Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Macro photography for my album of ambient music (Eleven Shadows)!
Lens: 50mm f/4 macro Camera: K-1 Mk I Photo Location: In a tiny house in California ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/6s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Ken Lee, 06-08-2022, 01:28 PM

This'll be a slightly different kinda Pentax Forum post, I think!

Most of the time, I post long exposure night photos. But this time, I didn't necessarily want that because I was creating an album cover....for my own album.

I record music as Eleven Shadows. But I took a reeeeally long break because I played in a rock band and continue to play in The Mercury Seven.

But funny things happen. Stuck at home after eye surgery, I began creating some new music. I was creating it just to create it. After a while, it occurred to me that this could be new Eleven Shadows music!

Every album needs some artwork, right? Of course it does! Being a musician who is also a photographer has its advantages. I decided I wanted some mysterious macro photography. I grabbed my Pentax K-1 and an old Pentax M Macro 50mm F/4 Prime MF Lens. I set it so it hovered over a Pyrex dish filled with water and some drops of olive oil. I chose a dark room. But then I illuminated the glass dish from below with some colored lights.

If you would like, you can find out more about this macro setup here in my Photofocus article since I am only briefly describing it.

Macro setup (identical except I am using a different lens here in the photo)

This is the macro photo. I used the Pentax K-1 for this. At the same time I did this, I also created a video. More on that in a minute.

This is the album cover for Eleven Shadows "Seahorse in the Center of Your Mind".

But songs also deserve a video sometimes, don't they? Of course they do!

This is the music video I created for my nom de musica Eleven Shadows for the song "Marismas Oscuras".

And I thought you Pentaxians would be interested in seeing the macro video without the layering, so here it is as well. Again, all made with a Pentax K-1 and a used Pentax 50mm f/4 macro that I purchased on eBay!!

I hope you find this interesting! I am writing a Photofocus article about this very thing but thought I'd bust it out for you first.

Oh, and since I described this much, I suppose I should share my Eleven Shadows Bandcamp website, where you can stream the album and download it and that kind of thing.
Views: 300
06-08-2022, 04:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very interesting background information and great macro shots. Hope that you are fully recovered from your eye surgery. I'll check out you links. Thanks much for posting.
06-08-2022, 07:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Very interesting background information and great macro shots. Hope that you are fully recovered from your eye surgery. I'll check out you links. Thanks much for posting.
Sure thing. I don't know how many people are interested in creating album art or macro photography, but hopefully this holds their interest!

And take your time. There's a lot of links there to explore if you want to immerse yourself in this sort of thing.