Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lava bed details of winter...
Posted By: clarenceclose, 03-14-2007, 02:07 PM

These were a series of shots taken on an outing, glimpses of the day, if you will. Tried it in the winter landscape contest a while back but due to the size of the file it got linked instead of shown so I did not think it got much exposure. Wanted to know if this worked, too bizarre, to bland, to extensive, not enough detail, etc.

Would appreciate any inputs regarding presentation, compostion, or any other thoughts you might have about the whole concept or individual parts.

Views: 1,356
03-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't remember when I saw this, but I think would have a tough time trying to frame this or even having a custom frame made.

These pictures play with my eyes a lot and I like it. I can't put words to how I'm looking at this right now. The fact that I'm looking at it with my work monitor (uncalibrated) doesn't help. I have to look at it at home.
03-14-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Clarence,
Interesting in an artistic sense.
Is that the Lava fields in Nthn California / Sthn Oregon?? I'm interested in that area, could you post some shots? or provide a link to your album?
Many Thanks.
Grant
03-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
G'day Clarence,
Interesting in an artistic sense.
Is that the Lava fields in Nthn California / Sthn Oregon?? I'm interested in that area, could you post some shots? or provide a link to your album?
Many Thanks.
Grant
Grant,
Check out this previous post of a different lava bed north of us.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/3213-hells-half-acre.html

I am in southeastern Idaho and there are lots of lava formations here. Can't imagine what it was like when all this was being laid down.

If you travel through Oregon, from Salem or Eugene, to Bend, take the McKenzie Pass road which will take you over some major lava beds up in the Cascade Mountains. Wonderful vistas and details.

03-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Clarence, I like it mucho, but I think it would be more effective broken into two. It's just a bit much for one viewing. I think it would probably be effective if I didn't have to scroll to see the whole thing, the trouble is, the scroll kinda destroys the effect.

NaCl(my $.05 and worth all of that)H2O
03-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Clarence, very creative and diverse. Kind of feeling overwhelmed with such diverse types of landscape. As others have suggested, very artistic
03-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #7

Hi Clarence,

I like the idea of putting pieces of pictures together linearly but I agree with NaClH2O that panning to see the rest of the picture diminishes the effect. On the other hand, I'm an engineer and have to fight the little demons on my shoulders to let me be creative. I always look at your posts to see what you've done with an image that I would never have thought to do. I'm learning a lot here.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

Steve

03-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

just a thought Clarence, but how about trying the same thing in a pie chart instead... it might make it more compact and have a similar effect
03-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your critiques and inputs.

I agree, it does lose something when panning....hummm.
Don't know if breaking it in half and stacking it would have the same effect.
Maybe staggered and stacked....hummm.

Pie shape very interesting and very challanging to accomplish...but has possibles.

Will think on it all for future creative attempts.

Thanks again.
03-15-2007, 03:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Clarence, it is certainly visually striking, can't call it beautiful, and yes, you cant help but wonder what went on all those millions of years ago.

Thanks for the location too....I have actually been to Pocatello....had lunch there a few years back on our way to Idaho Falls.

Good photography too, well done.
Grant