Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Black-Bellied Whistling Ducks
Lens: DA 55-300 F4.5-6.3ed PLM WR RE Camera: k3 Photo Location: Sanford Florida ISO: 2500 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: rhanz, 06-11-2022, 07:03 AM

The ducks arrived to my area for a very short visit.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 244
06-11-2022, 09:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We have loads and loads of Black-bellied Whistlers where I live in the southwest suburbs of Houston, Texas.

I find them lovely looking with their long necks and pink bills. And unlike other ducks, they are perching birds, so it is not unusual to see them on a wire or a tree branch.

BUT... just 20 years ago you would not have seen even one of these ducks here – you would have had to go about 100 miles down the coast to see them. Then we began to see a few of them briefly in the spring. Then a few more. Then they were here for a longer time. Then longer still. Now they are year-round residents and they are plentiful. I don't know, but I am guessing they are gradually moving northward with the climate change. Anyway, watch those "short visits"; they might get longer and longer.
06-11-2022, 09:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice series. I haven't seen them around here, but I don't get out enough to know. Interestingly different ducks. Thanks for posting.