K3 Mark3 with 300mm plus 1.4 TC
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 06-11-2022, 09:13 PM

Commenta are always welcome and appreciated
Views: 923
06-13-2022, 12:26 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

All good fun, eh?

---

Apologies to Heinrich for placing so much focus on TC use rather than his fine images... but I feel these points were worth discussing
Agreed.

06-13-2022, 09:52 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Marvelous series, Heinrich!!

Jer
06-14-2022, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #18
Ted

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote

Great shots. I use the 300 f/4 and the 1.4 tc also. Love them both.
06-14-2022, 11:15 AM   #19

Very sharp images.

06-14-2022, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you one and all for all the kind remarks, it is appreciated.

---------- Post added 06-14-22 at 07:08 PM ----------

That's perfectly reasonable. Personal preference and subjectivity dictate much of what we do

As previously indicated, I'm generally not a fan of 2x TCs and have never used one that gave a better result than cropping, subject to available image resolution - although Minolta (and later Sony) produced an APO 2x converter specifically matched to its pro 70-200 that allegedly performed very well with the lens closed down at least one stop. There are some good 1.4x converters, such as the Pentax HD DA1.4x, but while they're compatible with many lenses, they don't work equally well with all of them (as some of the responses here have indicated) - and even with those lenses where they produce good results, that may not be the case at every aperture. So... in line with your suggestion, I'd agree that you can't just throw a 2x TC on any 300mm lens and end up with a good 600mm lens.

We don't have Bigfoot here in the North East of England (though some of the population are suspiciously similar on the evolutionary scale ), but we do have a lot of smaller bird and wildlife species. For me, that's one use-case where the HD DA 1.4x can be useful when paired with my DA*60-250, especially at reasonably close range and in reasonably good light.

Absolutely... and the answer - IMHO - is, "it depends"... on the specific TC and lens combo, aperture used, whether a compromise in ISO or shutter speed was required or AF performance / accuracy was impacted, post-processing tools and skill in applying appropriate sharpening / detail recovery adjustments (local contrast, unsharp masking etc.), and probably several other factors I haven't considered.

Anyone who intends to use a TC would ideally perform with-and-without tests using the target camera and lens(es), at a range of focus distances and aperture settings, to ascertain whether the TC + lens combo offers advantages or disadvantages over cropping. in which situations, and whether those differences matter in the final output and intended reproduction size. In many cases, cropping will undoubtedly be as good or better, assuming there's enough image resolution to allow it while satisfying the required pixel dimensions for final output. In some scenarios - where the TC is known to work very well with a specific lens - skilful use in the right scenario can, IMHO, yield a benefit.

If they made their minds up based on their own testing rather than someone else's claims or opinions, I guess that's all the convincing they need There's no way anyone could (or should) convince me that it's always better to crop rather than use the HD DA 1.4x with my DA*60-250, because I've tested the lens with and without the converter, so I know how it performs, what to expect, and when to use one approach over the other.

I wholeheartedly agree that folks have to find out for themselves what works best. Of course, they may not draw the same conclusions - but that's OK too

---

EDIT:

The same considerations apply when comparing longer focal length lenses to shorter ones. A very good 200mm lens on a camera with sufficient resolution may give better results with image cropping than a good 300mm lens on the same camera. Just because the 300mm lens provides extra reach, doesn't mean the image quality will be better, or even as good. It depends on the lenses, and the practicalities of - and appetite for - cropping. Furthermore, a 70-200 (for example) may perform considerably better at 150mm than its 200mm maximum, such that better results can be obtained by shooting at 150mm and cropping... or shooting at 150mm with a very good 1.4x TC attached

It all comes down to learning the capabilities and limitations of our specific gear, how to get the best from it, and questioning received wisdom to draw our own individual conclusions.

All good fun, eh?

---

Apologies to Heinrich for placing so much focus on TC use rather than his fine images... but I feel these points were worth discussing
No apologies needed, no offence taking.

The reason that I posted these images was to show that it doesn't matter whether one uses a TC or not, it does not matter what camera or what lens you use, it does not matter whether you do a little, a lot or no PP. The only thing that matters
is the final image. In later years I have been able to afford so called decent equipment which was not always the case. In my young and foolish years I once shot a whole wedding with fold-up roll film camera. (and did just fine) So every body usus what he or she has and just be happy with it.

On a personal note: In a few days we will be celebrating my 90th Birthday. Over the last year or so I have not been very active on the forum due to AMD, with shots in the left eye it seems to have somewhat stabilized. My wife and I live in a so called Seniors Residence, my wife suffers from Dementia but is never the less most times in good mood. Due to my eyes I quit driving last September, so whatever images I do post are taken within 15 minutes walking distance from where we live. Due to my arthritic shoulders and left hand I use a walker to carry my camera bag. I am not trying to whine, just explaining the way it is.

Take care everyone.
06-14-2022, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On a personal note: In a few days we will be celebrating my 90th Birthday. Over the last year or so I have not been very active on the forum due to AMD, with shots in the left eye it seems to have somewhat stabilized. My wife and I live in a so called Seniors Residence, my wife suffers from Dementia but is never the less most times in good mood. Due to my eyes I quit driving last September, so whatever images I do post are taken within 15 minutes walking distance from where we live. Due to my arthritic shoulders and left hand I use a walker to carry my camera bag. I am not trying to whine, just explaining the way it is.

Take care everyone.
When life gives you lemons, we feast on lemonade.
We should be grateful for what we do receive in your posts.
06-14-2022, 08:21 PM   #22
-
Loyal Site Supporter

It's always a joy to read your posts and view your photos, Heinrich. You're an inspiration, sir, and one of PentaxForums' true gentlemen. All the best to you both, and wishing you a very Happy Birthday in advance

06-15-2022, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you one and all for all the kind remarks, it is appreciated.

---------- Post added 06-14-22 at 07:08 PM ----------

No apologies needed, no offence taking.

The reason that I posted these images was to show that it doesn't matter whether one uses a TC or not, it does not matter what camera or what lens you use, it does not matter whether you do a little, a lot or no PP. The only thing that matters
is the final image. In later years I have been able to afford so called decent equipment which was not always the case. In my young and foolish years I once shot a whole wedding with fold-up roll film camera. (and did just fine) So every body usus what he or she has and just be happy with it.

Take care everyone.

Sorry to hear all that, Heinrich - you comments in this forum have always been worth reading, and gentlemanly, and your photographs always worth seeing. Wish you all the best for your forthcoming 90th birthday. I am a relative newcomer to this forum, but have noted the respect other more long-term members have always shown you.
May your health (and that of your wife) be the best possible.
06-15-2022, 03:29 PM   #24
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a personal note: In a few days we will be celebrating my 90th Birthday.
I am like so many others here who appreciate your photography, Heinrich. I appreciate it all the more for knowing what you do to get your shots. May you and your wife keep powering along, my friend. You have much to contribute. I only wish I could get the same out of my Q7 that you do with yours.

Last edited by PJ1; 06-15-2022 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo
06-15-2022, 05:47 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heinrich - beautiful photos. Loved the second shot with the reflection especially - excellent image!
06-17-2022, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's always a joy to read your posts and view your photos, Heinrich. You're an inspiration, sir, and one of PentaxForums' true gentlemen. All the best to you both, and wishing you a very Happy Birthday in advance
Thank you for your kind words, it is appreciated.

QuoteQuote:
Heinrich - you comments in this forum have always been worth reading, and gentlemanly, and your photographs always worth seeing. Wish you all the best for your forthcoming 90th birthday. I am a relative newcomer to this forum, but have noted the respect other more long-term members have always shown you.
May your health (and that of your wife) be the best possible.
Thank you kindly for the well wishes.

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I am like so many others here who appreciate your photography, Heinrich. I appreciate it all the more for knowing what you do to get your shots. May you and your wife keep powering along, my friend. You have much to contribute. I only wish I could get the same out of my Q7 that you do with yours.
Thank you for the kind comments, I haven't done much with Q7 lately, too hard to see the screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Heinrich - beautiful photos. Loved the second shot with the reflection especially - excellent image!
Thank you for your kind response, I do appreciate. it

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When life gives you lemons, we feast on lemonade.
We should be grateful for what we do receive in your posts.
Hi reh and thank you. Lemons, oranges or whatever else, it's all good.

Take care,
06-17-2022, 10:11 AM   #27
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for the kind comments, I haven't done much with Q7 lately, too hard to see the screen.
I lost the eye-piece for my Hoodman clone, so I’m going to have to replace the Hoodman clone so I can see in sunlight.
I do wish so much that Pentax had continued that line; I purchased a used Q-S1, but it isn’t the same thing as a new one would have been.
My KP takes better photos, but a “Q” is so much easier on my back when my wife and I take birding walks.
You do demonstrate again and again that composition in photography is more important than the equipment used.

Last edited by reh321; 06-17-2022 at 10:16 AM.