Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Canary Wharf at night
Posted By: rojaba, 12-17-2008, 02:17 PM

It was a crisp, cold night so I decided to take my new tripod for a spin (9.79 instead of 10, thanks, Gordon). Should have fiddled with the settings a tad more but being the professional that I am, I ran out of batteries and couldn't be bothered to walk back and try again (too cold). Anyway... I call this: Canary Wharf at Night...

Now I know composition isn't great on this one (it's cropped) but what I'd really like to know is how I could get rid of the yellow/orange tint (photoshop is not the answer I'm after haha) and make the lines even clearer and less blurry (especially for the barclays building, for the non Londoners that's the overexposed one on the right)

current settings ist dl2, standard pentax 18-55mm, f-11, 30

i know there are some really good people in here so I look forward to hearing your thoughts
Views: 1,382
12-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it's a very nice shot! Personally, I kind of like the color...while it might not look realistic to you, I think the mood is nice. If you shot raw, you should have enough latitude to adjust the color to your liking. If you shot jpeg, I'll defer to someone else for suggestions about the color. I like the composition. Looking at the center buildings, I wonder if it needs a slight rotation to the left.

Enjoy your new tripod and stay warm!
12-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I can't say for sure but it might be a little over exposed which caused the blowout on that one building and maybe caused some halo effect on the others which might account for the blurriness. I agree with Scott that it could be tweaked a little to the left. BTW, I see you caught an aircraft also. Cool!
12-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice, I love nightly cityscapes!

12-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
JMR
Veteran Member

If your PP program has the feature, just add some blue to taste or to what you believe was the realistic color. If you remember, in the film days, you used a blue filter to counteract the orange cast of tungsten lighting (ordinary house bulbs). The white lighting is powerful, almost overwhelming. You should be able to reduce the lighting in curves or something similar. I just tried it and it looks pretty good.

JMR
12-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I like it just the way it is!

If you want to next time though, you can bracket your exposures and use photoshop or an hdr program to blend them -- the dark parts from your longest shot merged with the light parts from your shortest shot and things will generally look properly exposed all around Usually you take 3 shots, 1 that is right in the middle, not too underexposed, and not too over exposed. You can do it with 5 or as many as you like though too.
01-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice shot, personaly I'd make it tad darker (maybe 20-25 sec instead of 30), and if you want to remove the colour cast: next time just take piece of white paper with you, and take manual WB reading from it when on place of shooting...
BR
Peter