Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Let's see. Lemon Merengue or Key Lime Pie? Key Lime Pie For Me, Please. :)
Lens: Sears 135mm 2.8 Macro Lens Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: Neighborhood ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: Tonytee, 06-18-2022, 01:14 AM

Manual Exposure Mode with Multi-Segment Metering.

Thanks very much for viewing.

Tony
Views: 362
06-18-2022, 07:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nicely captured. Great colors and texture. Bright against the dark background.
06-18-2022, 02:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Nicely captured. Great colors and texture. Bright against the dark background.

I thank you very kindly. I have to admit, I am fascinated by this color. Never seen this before.

Tony
06-19-2022, 09:36 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful! And, the correct color for key lime pie, too.

Tip, if you ever order key lime pie and what's served to you is green, send it back...it ain't key lime pie!

06-19-2022, 10:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote

Tip, if you ever order key lime pie and what's served to you is green, send it back...it ain't key lime pie!
I guess I've never had "key lime" pie before! Thanks for the note on it!
Very intriguing arrangement of colors, Tony. Now I guess I know what key lime pie should look like.
(I'll have to taste it sometime.)
Angky.
06-19-2022, 11:02 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Very intriguing arrangement of colors, Tony. Now I guess I know what key lime pie should look like.
Angky.
Key limes are quite different from "persian" limes, the ones you see in the supermarket that look like big dark green lemons. Key limes are small (a very big one would be about the size of a golf ball), spherical (not egg-shaped like persian limes or lemons), thin-skinned, and quite tart. Their flesh and juice are light yellow, and taste different than a persian lime. So-called "Mexican" limes are more or less between the two, closer to a key lime than to a persian lime. Decades ago, +90% of the US lime crop came from south Florida, but several citrus plagues wiped out nearly all the groves...no limes are cultivated commercially here any longer, alas. But we can get all three kinds in the supermarket, I'm not really sure where persian limes are cultivated, there are local sources for key limes (we have two small ones in the yard, just harvested half a dozen limes yesterday ), huge numbers of Mexican limes come from, well, Mexico.

Anyway, real key lime pie is pale yellow (not green) and very tart. It can have a pastry crust or graham cracker crust (this is The Great Key Lime Pie Crust Debate, advocates for each abound), but always has whipped cream on top. Delicious, one of the few non-chocolate desserts on my gotta-have-it list! And either crust is fine with me.
06-19-2022, 03:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Hello Julie,

Many thanks for your awesome review and sound advice.

Tony

---------- Post added 06-19-22 at 03:20 PM ----------

Angky.

Very delicious and nutritious. My doctor informs me that they are very high in Vitamin C and to take two pies every four hours. Who am I to say "NO?". )

Tony

---------- Post added 06-19-22 at 03:25 PM ----------

Key limes are quite different from "persian" limes, the ones you see in the supermarket that look like big dark green lemons. Key limes are small (a very big one would be about the size of a golf ball), spherical (not egg-shaped like persian limes or lemons), thin-skinned, and quite tart. Their flesh and juice are light yellow, and taste different than a persian lime. So-called "Mexican" limes are more or less between the two, closer to a key lime than to a persian lime. Decades ago, +90% of the US lime crop came from south Florida, but several citrus plagues wiped out nearly all the groves...no limes are cultivated commercially here any longer, alas. But we can get all three kinds in the supermarket, I'm not really sure where persian limes are cultivated, there are local sources for key limes (we have two small ones in the yard, just harvested half a dozen limes yesterday ), huge numbers of Mexican limes come from, well, Mexico.

Anyway, real key lime pie is pale yellow (not green) and very tart. It can have a pastry crust or graham cracker crust (this is The Great Key Lime Pie Crust Debate, advocates for each abound), but always has whipped cream on top. Delicious, one of the few non-chocolate desserts on my gotta-have-it list! And either crust is fine with me.

Again, wonderful and many thanks for your comprehensive and informative commentary. Probably will be my responsibility for everyone gaining a few pounds by Monday

morning. Won't matter though since Monday is a holiday. Calories don't count on holidays. Yeah!!! ))

Tony

06-19-2022, 04:18 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
take two pies every four hours.

Tony
Sounds like A Plan to me! Obviously you have a source for key lime pie in PNW...enjoy!
06-19-2022, 06:19 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Manual Exposure Mode with Multi-Segment Metering.

Thanks very much for viewing.

Tony
It is a very refreshing colour, Tony. Well-executed pic.

Julie, you have created a likely never-to-be-fulfilled longing in me to taste key lime pie. Lemon merangue has long been a favourite of mine, but now you have me longing for something else, way Down Under here!
06-19-2022, 09:00 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Great info you offer here!
I never had the slightest bit of knowledge on these things--just thought a lime was a lime--and could never understand what a key had to do with a pie made out of limes!
You always have some interesting info to fill in on these botanical topics. Thanks for that!
Tony, you should send her an Oregon rose!
Angky.
06-20-2022, 06:22 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote

Julie, you have created a likely never-to-be-fulfilled longing in me to taste key lime pie. Lemon merangue has long been a favourite of mine, but now you have me longing for something else, way Down Under here!
If you like lemon meringue pie, you'll love key lime pie. Very tart, offset by the sweet whipped cream...the pie filling has a different texture than typical lemon meringue, it's more like a light, smooth custard (made with sweetened condensed milk rather than eggs and cornstarch). And of course no meringue. Pucker up! Recipes abound, if you can find mexican limes you can make an approximation. (lordy, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! )
And apologies to Tony for hijacking his beautiful flower thread...
06-20-2022, 06:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never had the slightest bit of knowledge on these things--just thought a lime was a lime--and could never understand what a key had to do with a pie made out of limes!
You always have some interesting info to fill in on these botanical topics. Thanks for that!
Angky.
You're welcome, glad to opine! The "key" part comes from the Florida Keys ("the Keys"), where the limes originally came from (well, all citrus is native in Asia). That was to contrast them with the mainland commercially-grown persian limes, a completely different species. No shortage of persian limes during the heyday of their production, key limes were scarcer, usually harvested from backyard trees. but now produced commercially in small quantities. And key lime pie originally came from the Keys, but you can get it almost anywhere in far southern Florida now.
BTW, "persian" limes are sometimes called "Tahitian" or "Bearss" limes. Mexican limes are closest to Key limes in flavor and fragrance.
06-20-2022, 09:31 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Angky.

How about a bouquet of Oregon Roses with a bushel of Oregon Limes? All Aboard!!!

Tony