Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Route 66 - Meteor City Trading Post (abandoned night photo)
Lens: 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 Camera: K-1 Mk I Photo Location: Route 66 ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Ken Lee, 06-18-2022, 09:03 AM

Mohawk and Wigwam
~~~~~
Do you like exploring some of the historic abandoned places along Route 66? An abandoned wigwam in the once popular dome shaped Meteor City Trading Post along historic Route 66 in Arizona west of Winslow. I illuminated the structure with a handheld ProtoMachines LED2 during the exposure. This was part of a three-night trip with night photographer Mike Cooper, exploring the remote corners of the desert. This photo will appear in my upcoming book of history and night photography on Route 66.
Views: 411
06-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This one cool capture. There are some really strange structures along Route 66. I see a street light peeking around the edge of the wigwam. Was there a parking lot behind the trading post?
06-19-2022, 10:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
This one cool capture. There are some really strange structures along Route 66. I see a street light peeking around the edge of the wigwam. Was there a parking lot behind the trading post?
Thank you for your kind comments! Agreed, some strange and unusual structures.

I believe it might be the part of equipment behind all this, I'm not totally sure. The back part is now fenced off, although I cannot figure out what they are doing. I heard that this place might be rebuilt, although the last two times I've been there, I haven't seen any changes aside from having equipment there.

Last edited by Ken Lee; 06-19-2022 at 10:45 AM.
06-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Ken, how are you !

Please check on YOUTUBE : RVerTV. It's filmed by a retired professional named Russ with a GoPro 9, he explores the American Southwest in a big Mercedes Van. His last episode (June 19) showed these wigwams in Winslow, Arizona and he toured the city (notably the "CORNER" where there are statues perusing a huge "Route 66" sign embedded in the asphalt and an old Ford flatbed truck. These are the emblems of the City of Winslow.

Regards

06-20-2022, 06:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Hello Ken, how are you !

Please check on YOUTUBE : RVerTV. It's filmed by a retired professional named Russ with a GoPro 9, he explores the American Southwest in a big Mercedes Van. His last episode (June 19) showed these wigwams in Winslow, Arizona and he toured the city (notably the "CORNER" where there are statues perusing a huge "Route 66" sign embedded in the asphalt and an old Ford flatbed truck. These are the emblems of the City of Winslow.

Regards
Hey Richard! Wow, thanks for the tip! I will have a look!! Totally appreciated!

I've been either editing videos or writing all day. Whew. Gotta get away from the computer for a while.....