Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Fallen fossilized 180 million year old Pines, Petrified Forest Nat'l Park, ARIZONA
Lens: DFA 28-105 mm HD Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: Arizona ISO: 125 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 06-18-2022, 12:57 PM

There is an area south of Interstate-40 in Petrified Forest Nat'l Park where you can admire remnants of fossilized 180 million year old Pine trees. The site is easily accessible just adjacent to a parking area. Pentax K1 + DFA 28-105 mm HD lens @ 28 mm FL.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 364
06-18-2022, 04:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I was in my teens my family made a cross counter trip to Oregon. I was quite fascinated by the Petrified Forest. Nice shot with rich colors.
06-19-2022, 04:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love that blue sky and contrast with the petrified wood - shared it with my wife and she says its a *perfect blue* and likes the detail.

Nicely done - esp when it gets praise from my better half.
06-19-2022, 05:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice image with fantastic colors. There is a petrified forest in the Black Hills of South Dakota that I visited many, many years ago, but I have never been to this one.

06-19-2022, 09:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Must be an extremely dry climate there. Fallen trees where I live in South Wales look as bad as that after just a few years
06-19-2022, 09:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Must be an extremely dry climate there. Fallen trees where I live in South Wales look as bad as that after just a few years
The climate was extremely different in Arizona 180 million years ago. A sea covered what we see as desert today. These were giant Pines that fell in a gully and were buried with sediments very rapidly. Minerals in the soil permeated the wood cells and replaced the biological material. So these "logs" kept the original shape of the trees but turned to stone over eons of time. Erosion recently (in geological time, let's be precise) removed material and revealed them for us to see.
06-19-2022, 01:47 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fascinating chunks of logs there!
I've never been to the place, but many "eons" ago, my gramma gave me a piece she had gotten from a gift shop there.
It had been very highly polished on one side and was fascinatingly beautiful, and so much perfect detail available to be seen.
I really valued that rock, not just because it was so beautiful, but also because Gramma thought to get it for me!
Good memories you bring back with your photo.
Angky.

06-20-2022, 07:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Glad you liked the picture and what it reminds you. A tourist on the site when I visited was wondering aloud "what sort of chainsaws the Park Rangers were using to cut these logs in length because they seemed pretty hard".

Regards
06-20-2022, 08:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like that shot. I don't think I've been up there since I was a kid. I've been thinking about a trip up to the Page area when it cools off and I might need to add this.
06-21-2022, 02:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This part of Arizona sits between 5000 and 7000 feet in elevation and should be way cooler than the Sun Valley. Phoenix is often the hottest place in the U.S., short of Death Valley, CA.

Regards