Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Monarch Butterfly (?) in the Mimosa from many angles
Lens: Sigma 135-400 APO Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Yard ISO: 1250 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: MikeNArk, 06-19-2022, 04:11 PM

I shot many images of what I think is a Monarch butterfly a few days ago. I say that because there are several butterflies that resemble the Monarch that I sometimes question whether it is or not. Let me know if you think I am correct or have been fooled again. Thanks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 155
06-19-2022, 04:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a terrific series of shots with fantastic colors and details of the Monarch and the flowers. I think you have it correct. It looks like a Monarch to me. It is so dry here this summer that all of my spots for photographing butterflies and other insects are coming up empty. The water in Cibolo Creek where I hung out a lot last year is like a series of stagnant pools. It is horrible...
06-19-2022, 04:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really like the colors. Nice shots.
06-19-2022, 05:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
This is a terrific series of shots with fantastic colors and details of the Monarch and the flowers. I think you have it correct. It looks like a Monarch to me. It is so dry here this summer that all of my spots for photographing butterflies and other insects are coming up empty. The water in Cibolo Creek where I hung out a lot last year is like a series of stagnant pools. It is horrible...
Thanks much Todd. I was hoping that you might look at these images for confirmation that it was a Monarch and I'm glad you liked the images. Some of the images have a little blur due to flight liftoff or wing field flap, but they were interesting to me. I hope you get some weather relief soon. We have many hot and humid days in our near future.

---------- Post added 06-19-22 at 05:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by phx.david Quote
Really like the colors. Nice shots.
Thanks much. The Mimosa tree provides lots of colors without the butterflies. The Monarchs always add great color to any images. I'll soon post some images of some of the birds attracted to this tree by the blooms and insects. Loved the images from your last trip.

06-19-2022, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Especially like the images where the mimosa flowers and the butterfly wings are both backlit.
Angky.
06-20-2022, 03:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Especially like the images where the mimosa flowers and the butterfly wings are both backlit.
Angky.
Thanks much Angky. That backlight does give a glow to both the butterfly and flowers. Thanks for noting it. Mike