Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Enjoying the Lantana
Lens: DA* 300mm f4 w/HD 1.4x teleconverter Camera: K-3II Photo Location: Boerne, TX ISO: 1000 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: ToddK, 06-23-2022, 07:53 AM

One tiny bloom at a time.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 374
06-23-2022, 09:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another absolutely outstanding image!
Puzzled, I am, as to how you got the image.
I'm sure you used a tripod with that lens combo, but if you did, then how did you get that big heavy chunk of glass onto that butterfly before it left???
Angky
06-23-2022, 11:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lantana... I have a love/hate relationship with it. On the one hand it flowers a lot and the itty-bitty flowers are so bright and cheery. But on the other hand, it's a poisonous weed. Always amuses me that people actually plant it deliberately, and that you can purchase it in garden centers.
That notwithstanding, the photo is terrific!
06-24-2022, 06:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice capture, Todd. Seeing the shutter speed on this shot makes me think it's handheld. With good light I hardly ever use a tripod. If I did, I would miss most shots like this.

06-24-2022, 10:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Another absolutely outstanding image!
Puzzled, I am, as to how you got the image.
I'm sure you used a tripod with that lens combo, but if you did, then how did you get that big heavy chunk of glass onto that butterfly before it left???
Angky
Thanks so much Angky! Actually I shot it handheld. The nice thing about such a long lens is you can stand back a little to take the shots. This helps to keep the butterflies calm and sit still long enough to get the shots.
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Lantana... I have a love/hate relationship with it. On the one hand it flowers a lot and the itty-bitty flowers are so bright and cheery. But on the other hand, it's a poisonous weed. Always amuses me that people actually plant it deliberately, and that you can purchase it in garden centers.
That notwithstanding, the photo is terrific!
Thank you Julie! I have warmed up to Lantana here in Texas hill country. It is native to this area and deer resistant. The deer around here wander through neighborhoods at night and eat everything edible down to the ground. It is also very attractive to bees and butterflies, so it is not all bad.
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Nice capture, Todd. Seeing the shutter speed on this shot makes me think it's handheld. With good light I hardly ever use a tripod. If I did, I would miss most shots like this.
Hi Mike, yes it is handheld. I also rarely use a tripod for bees and butterflies. Too much moving around and repositioning to get shots.
06-24-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Thank you Julie! I have warmed up to Lantana here in Texas hill country. It is native to this area and deer resistant. The deer around here wander through neighborhoods at night and eat everything edible down to the ground. It is also very attractive to bees and butterflies, so it is not all bad.
It's native here, too. When I was a kid I remember country-folks (those with horses and other livestock) referring to it as "loco weed". The deer apparently know not to eat it. I agree that it's attractive, I just can't un-know that it's poisonous and a hazard to animals and pets. Your image is quite lovely!
06-24-2022, 01:27 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Enjoying the Lantana
Wonderful image... with a beautiful colour keyed and smooth background.

06-25-2022, 05:31 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Wonderful image... with a beautiful colour keyed and smooth background.
Thank you so much for your very nice comment!