Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Going fishing today ... 4-inch trouts are sometimes visible in this freshwater pool.
Lens: DA 12-24 mm f/4 ED Camera: Pentax K3 III Photo Location: Quebec, CANADA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 06-25-2022, 05:32 PM

Nice freshwater pool harboring little rainbow trouts. Clean, cold, pristine water, shade, rock and gravel substrate, a little cascade, "heavens" for trout. Pentax K3 III + DA 12-24 mm f/4 ED AL at 24 mm FL.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 

Views: 339
06-25-2022, 06:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's nice to have a nice stream like that close by. Nice capture. Did you cast a line?
06-26-2022, 04:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Fish in a brook are like the "canary in the mine". If you see "top of the trophic chain" fish in a watercourse, it means it is a clean habitat capable of supporting life and should be revered and left unperturbed. I would rather contemplate fish living in a pool than try to catch and kill them. Just my opinion after being an environmental engineer for the best part of my life. When I was a kid, my father went fishing with his bamboo cane and worms and enjoyed very much eating the fish he caught in similar watercourses he knew.

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 06-26-2022 at 05:15 AM.
06-26-2022, 12:12 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice location and image, Richard

Would I be correct in identifying some iron deposits in the river bed in a few places?

I'm with you regarding the fishing vs. leaving well alone... though I will say, I've no issue with folks catching to eat, if there's a healthy population in the river or lake in question. We've a few reservoirs in my region of the country with managed stocks of freshwater trout, and we've had a couple of nice family meals from my catches on a couple of visits (I'm not a regular fisherman). In fact, those reservoirs have a strict "no release" policy - once you've caught it, you keep it. Frankly, with the day's fishing fees taken into account and the catch limits, it's probably cheaper to buy trout from the local fishmonger - but obviously it's the sport and enjoyment of a well-tended location that you're really paying for...

06-26-2022, 02:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This brook is called the "Black River" and the water is slightly colored, probably because of the geological composition of the substrate. Quebec is one of the world's major producers of Iron ore, so I guess iron oxide is present in the water.

Regards
06-26-2022, 02:33 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a very nice little brook, and a very good photograph of it. When I was living in Montana, I fished these kinds of small creeks a lot, and yes, I ate them! Otherwise, I would have been a starving college student.
06-26-2022, 02:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by toddk Quote
otherwise, i would have been a starving college student.
Lol !

06-26-2022, 03:11 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very well constructed photograph. Many thanks for the awesome treat.

Tony
06-27-2022, 04:16 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your kind words !

Best Regards
06-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I was a kid, I used to love struggling through the rocks and brush (well, actually, that part I hated!) of a tiny creek to catch some good meat.
Now, I love to look for the surprising images that turn up in those places--if I am able to stand up in such areas.
Good memory shot!
Angky/
06-29-2022, 05:36 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
THX !

This brook is visible from a safe and easy to reach spot. I wouldn't want to struggle through brush to get there. I've had my share of working like a mule to reach beautiful viewpoints (like in Mauricie Nat'l Park here in Canada). I could do it easily then, when I was 30 or 40 but now, with my bad knees and my recent health scare, I remain more cautious and less "adventurous", let's say.

Best Regards