Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Say hello to the Old Man!
Lens: DA16-85mm Camera: KP 
Posted By: newmikey, 06-26-2022, 10:49 PM

Meet Victor, the 20-yo horse of my wife. A few years ago we thought he was a goner, he'd undergone a very risky operation to his gut but survived. I portrayed the "Old Man" as we've come to call him in his stable, resting after an outing a few years ago (August 2020). Amazingly enough, he is still alive and well today, well enough to be ridden a few times a week and frolic with other horses in the pasture or field at playtime.

I wanted to catch his essence in a shot, his inquisitive gaze with such beautiful eyes. Not a horse lover myself, I did the best I could and let my wife select the raw shot in the pose she liked best. I then did the processing from raw. I recently redid the processing using a few new software routines I've learned over the past few years.

Conversion of the raw file was, as before in Darktable - this time version 3.8.1 - after which I brought the image into Gimp to remove a few dust spots and a few stray hairs and sprigs of hay. I also selected Vic's eye and brightened it up a bit as well as increasing its contrast. I then increased the overall saturation of the shot. I then brought the image into Digikam's editor, Showfoto, which has a wonderful way to change the overall colour mood of an image and this brought out the warm sunlight streaming into the stables that day. Last stop was noise reduction in Neatimage.

For those who are interested, the shot data:
Date and Time : 2020:08:08 09:49:23
Model : PENTAX KP
Exposure Bias : -3/10 EV
Exposure Mode : Manual
Exposure Program : Aperture priority
Exposure Time : 1/100 s
FlashPix Version : Binary data 4 bytes
FNumber : F6.3
Focal Length : 43.0 mm
ISO Speed Ratings : 1600
White Balance : Manual

Attached Images

Views: 282
06-27-2022, 05:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shot of the "old man". He has served you well and hope he continues to do well.
A nice tribute.
06-27-2022, 10:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like this one. The colors, the mood and the subject.
06-27-2022, 01:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have really done Victor justice with this beautiful portrait. I like the lighting and colors.

06-27-2022, 04:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is a very nice portrait of the horse; your wife made a good selection.
Thanks also for the pp story. A lot I still have to learn there.
Angky.