Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11 Likes  
Catch me if you can
Posted By: nixxo2002, 07-06-2022, 01:41 PM

I was at my son soccer practice . after a few minutes i notice there is some actions behind the tree , and some bird noises was coming from there too . as soon i took my camera from backpack and look up around me ( noises were much closer )
i was SHOCKED . small bird was chasing the hawk all around the field and parking lot .... Hawk still has his prey . i have a fraction of time to capture this moment (was still in my car ). in a minute they flew to the other side of field . where i don't have access . as you can see a few of them out of focus . usually those picture will be deleted . but i decide it to share my experience .

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Views: 842
07-11-2022, 09:19 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great shots.

i always find it interesting that birds know that a red tailed hawk is not an airborne threat threat, yet coopers hawks, and falcons are.

Somewhere i have shots of a merlin going after a red tailed with similar agression

07-11-2022, 01:08 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A terrific series of shots! I really like the two shots with the mockingbird right on its tail.
07-11-2022, 10:57 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the bird mobbing the hawk is a mockingbird. But I do not think the bird in the hawk's talons is a nestling mocker. It seems too brown and somewhat large.
07-12-2022, 05:24 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Red Tails don't usually go after adult birds. They will snatch eggs and babies, though. That's why the other birds chase them off. Looks to me like the Red Tail's snatched a bunny not a bird.

07-12-2022, 07:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Yes, the bird mobbing the hawk is a mockingbird. But I do not think the bird in the hawk's talons is a nestling mocker. It seems too brown and somewhat large.
A rodent is likely too .

Last edited by pichaser; 07-12-2022 at 07:27 AM. Reason: more clarity
07-12-2022, 01:23 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
no it's not a bird . hawk catch the ground squirrel. it's very common in this area . a lot of ground squirrels . even the heron catch them too.
the bird was chasing the hawk , because he landed on tree and was too close to nest .