Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Green Heron at the Nature Preserve
Lens: Sigma 135-400 APO Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Hendrix Nature Preserve 
Posted By: MikeNArk, 07-07-2022, 02:26 PM

On a walk at the nature preserve, we came across a nice Green Heron looking for something to eat. It was quite patient, and didn't immediately fly away so I got a few shots.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 296
07-07-2022, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
On a walk at the nature preserve, we came across a nice Green Heron looking for something to eat. It was quite patient, and didn't immediately fly away so I got a few shots.
Great pictures of a heron that I do not see that often.
07-07-2022, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, you got your green heron posted!
Really like especially the first two.
Angky.
07-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhanz Quote
Great pictures of a heron that I do not see that often.
Thank you. Lately, it has been a bird that I don't see very often. It's hot and dry here and the water level and flow is pretty low.

---------- Post added 07-07-22 at 06:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Well, you got your green heron posted!
Really like especially the first two.
Angky.
Thank you, Angky. I finally did get it posted. It also took a long time this year to find one to photograph. You are right. The first two are probably the best. I guess that why they are the first two.

07-08-2022, 08:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Green herons often freeze rather than flee which means I don't notice them at all . We seem to have less of these beauties for whatever reason Good work !
07-08-2022, 09:07 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Green herons often freeze rather than flee which means I don't notice them at all . We seem to have less of these beauties for whatever reason Good work !
Thanks for your comments. They are pretty birds. We've had less of these birds also. I attribute it partially due to weather. With dry hot conditions the water level and flow has been low. We saw some perch attempting to go in the main body water get stranded in very shallow water a few days ago.
07-08-2022, 10:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful shots, Mike! Green herons are scarce here, too, one doesn't see them all that often, at least compared to the more common egrets, herons and ibis. I saw one a few years ago at the botanical garden, but it was at some distance and the image was disappointing. Yours are terrific!

07-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Beautiful shots, Mike! Green herons are scarce here, too, one doesn't see them all that often, at least compared to the more common egrets, herons and ibis. I saw one a few years ago at the botanical garden, but it was at some distance and the image was disappointing. Yours are terrific!
Thanks for viewing and your comments. I was lucky to get close shots. I'll admit that I haven't been to many places looking for wading birds. This Green Heron is the first that I have seen this year at the nature preserve. In the past Great Blue Herons visited this site, but not now?
07-08-2022, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Super series, Mike.

Jer
07-08-2022, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for viewing and your comments. I was lucky to get close shots. I'll admit that I haven't been to many places looking for wading birds. This Green Heron is the first that I have seen this year at the nature preserve. In the past Great Blue Herons visited this site, but not now?
Needless to say, the Everglades are a great place to see wading and water birds. Not so much this time of year, the weather is awful (very hot, very wet, very muggy and mosquito-y), but in winter when the weather is very pleasant and a lot of migratory birds show up. But egrets, herons and ibis are year-round residents, you can see them all over the place. Heck, last week there were three ibis on a neighbor's front lawn! A couple of years ago I saw a stork wading around the edges of a little pond in a townhouse complex nearby. Unfortunately I was in a moving car at the time, no camera <sigh>. At Everglades National Park, there are a lot of good locations for seeing wading and water birds.
07-08-2022, 03:57 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Super series, Mike.

Jer
Thanks Jer. I appreciate you positive comments.

---------- Post added 07-08-22 at 04:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Needless to say, the Everglades are a great place to see wading and water birds. Not so much this time of year, the weather is awful (very hot, very wet, very muggy and mosquito-y), but in winter when the weather is very pleasant and a lot of migratory birds show up. But egrets, herons and ibis are year-round residents, you can see them all over the place. Heck, last week there were three ibis on a neighbor's front lawn! A couple of years ago I saw a stork wading around the edges of a little pond in a townhouse complex nearby. Unfortunately I was in a moving car at the time, no camera <sigh>. At Everglades National Park, there are a lot of good locations for seeing wading and water birds.
Thanks for the information. I'd probably have to get a new camera often if I had that many photo opportunities year round.
07-09-2022, 06:56 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the information. I'd probably have to get a new camera often if I had that many photo opportunities year round.
Yes, you need an excuse to get a new camera...