Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Manzanita Knob
Lens: HD Pentax DA 16-85mm Camera: K-70 Photo Location: High Sierra Nevada Mtns ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/6000s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: angkymac, 07-07-2022, 04:56 PM

Just outside a mountain meadow is a dense bramble of manzanita, overtopped by standing oak and pine trees.
Clouds were above and floating by, changing the lighting by the moment. A spot of light from the bright edge of a cloud got through a hole in the upper canopy of leaves.
The place was fairly dark, but that brighter spot came briefly and then began to fade again on this broken and healed stem.
I snapped it as quickly as I could.
Spot metered on the brightest white in the dead wood. I should have metered the reddish area to get a bit more light in the image (a lower shutter speed).
I had to raise the exposure in post.
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 317
07-07-2022, 05:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Manzanita. I had to look this up to get an idea of what I was looking at. From the information that I read, it sounds like it would provide sustenance for birds and wildlife among other things. At least I now know that semi-smooth covering is bark. It looks somewhat like Polk salad stems. Thanks for the lesson. An interesting capture.
07-07-2022, 10:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Manzanita. I had to look this up to get an idea of what I was looking at. From the information that I read, it sounds like it would provide sustenance for birds and wildlife among other things. At least I now know that semi-smooth covering is bark. It looks somewhat like Polk salad stems. Thanks for the lesson. An interesting capture.
Bears eat a lot of manzanita berries, so, yes, it does provide food. And I think some folks use it as survival food--the berries. But it certainly isn't anything that anybody would want to eat!
The red is bark, as you said. But it exfoliates every year. Some of it is curling off at the top of the image. So it stays very smooth and semi-shiny.
Manzanita is a dry area shrubby tree, and comes onto ground that has little to no overstory above it--like after logging or fires.
It covers a lot of dry hillsides in this part of the country. Makes a very dense thicket of very strong woody stems and tangled branches--hard to work your way through it.
If it catches fire, you can forget about trying to stop the fire! It burns fiercely hot.
Thanks for your interest.
Angky.
07-07-2022, 10:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good texture contrasts

07-08-2022, 06:55 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool shot - has an alien look and feel - something I enjoy.

Jer
07-08-2022, 07:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Just outside a mountain meadow is a dense bramble of manzanita, overtopped by standing oak and pine trees.
Clouds were above and floating by, changing the lighting by the moment. A spot of light from the bright edge of a cloud got through a hole in the upper canopy of leaves.
The place was fairly dark, but that brighter spot came briefly and then began to fade again on this broken and healed stem.
I snapped it as quickly as I could.
Spot metered on the brightest white in the dead wood. I should have metered the reddish area to get a bit more light in the image (a lower shutter speed).
I had to raise the exposure in post.
Angky.
A lot of information there, nice picture and thanks for posting it
07-08-2022, 07:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice composition Angky. I like the mood created by the low light with this. I really like manzanita. It is a signature of the canyons of the coast range and Sierra foothills.

07-08-2022, 05:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Good texture contrasts
Yes! Good call, EM.
That is one of the things that appeal to me, but I couldn't put my finger on what it was.
Thanks!
Angky.

---------- Post added 07-08-22 at 05:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Cool shot - has an alien look and feel - something I enjoy.

Jer
"An alien look".
Indeed I can see that!
Manzanita is so common for me that I just take shots of it, but it certainly does have that appearance.
Thanks!
Angky.

---------- Post added 07-08-22 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rhanz Quote
A lot of information there, nice picture and thanks for posting it
I'm glad you enjoyed the info and the image!
Thanks for saying so!
Angky.

---------- Post added 07-08-22 at 05:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Nice composition Angky. I like the mood created by the low light with this. I really like manzanita. It is a signature of the canyons of the coast range and Sierra foothills.
You are most definitely right in saying it is a signature item around here!
It grows everywhere in this harsh environment of dry weather and granite soils.
And when it burns, it turns the whole mountainside into ashes.
You know about that, I'm sure! But these past couple of years have really seen some raging infernos!
Thanks for your note, and glad the image gave you a good sight.
Angky.