Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
An oldie
Lens: Sigma APO Macro 24 - 70mm lens Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: Perth Western Australia 
Posted By: eaglem, 07-10-2022, 08:57 PM

a Riley Elf MK2 seen at the Motor Museum

Views: 447
07-10-2022, 09:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very well done capture of a vintage British OEM. I truly am enjoying the exposure level, providing a very pleasant viewing experience without any harsh overhead glare. Many thanks, EM.

Tony
07-10-2022, 11:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Very well done capture of a vintage British OEM. I truly am enjoying the exposure level, providing a very pleasant viewing experience without any harsh overhead glare. Many thanks, EM.

Tony
My pleasure Tony and I'll have a few more to show as well
07-11-2022, 08:12 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That looks like an upscale compact car. I agree with Tony, that the subdued light makes a pleasant view. I am not familiar with this vehicle. Thanks for posting.

07-11-2022, 02:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I am not familiar with this vehicle.
It was basically an Austin Mini, a variant that was a little longer than the standard Mini by virtue of a larger boot [trunk] on the back. There was a very similar Wolesley Hornet, and the two cars were only differed in their trim and their respective traditional radiator styles.
07-11-2022, 03:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
That looks like an upscale compact car. I agree with Tony, that the subdued light makes a pleasant view. I am not familiar with this vehicle. Thanks for posting.
It's the first I'd seen as well

---------- Post added 07-12-22 at 06:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
It was basically an Austin Mini, a variant that was a little longer than the standard Mini by virtue of a larger boot [trunk] on the back. There was a very similar Wolesley Hornet, and the two cars were only differed in their trim and their respective traditional radiator styles.
When I first saw it I was thinking Mini as the shape is very similar......Thanks for the info
07-11-2022, 04:12 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting car and interesting shot!
I stumbled across an old British car in a museum a few weeks ago and found it to be the same year as my old high school VW - 1962. Quite fascinated to see the similarities between the two European cars.
This one appears to be a but upscale from my VW and that car I found (I think it might have been a Mini, but I didn't know cars well enough to remember).
Angky.

07-11-2022, 08:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
I stumbled across an old British car in a museum a few weeks ago and found it to be the same year as my old high school VW - 1962. Quite fascinated to see the similarities between the two European cars.
This one appears to be a but upscale from my VW and that car I found (I think it might have been a Mini, but I didn't know cars well enough to remember).
Angky.
Most cars of this era were of a similar design and shape
07-12-2022, 12:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Angky.
It could have been a Morris Minor which is similar in shape to a VW Beetle.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Minor

07-12-2022, 12:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Yes it looked very much like the first of the Mini Minors
07-12-2022, 02:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The Morris Minor was the equivalent of the VW Beetle in that they were both budget post-WW2 cars and both have had a long-lasting cult following. However, the Minor was more conventional with the engine at the front, was water cooled, and had rear wheel drive.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Yes it looked very much like the first of the Mini Minors
The BMC (British Motor Company, later British Leyland) owned many brand names including "Austin" and "Morris". When they first introduced the Mini they sold it under two names - The "Austin Seven" and the "Morris Mini-Minor", which were practically identical. The words "Seven" and "Minor" had been used on models dating back to the 1920s. But, as we all know, the word "Mini" caught on like wildfire, one of the most successful brandings ever, so the distinction between the two brands was soon dropped and the car was sold as just the "Mini". The Mini and the Morris Minor (and some other BMC cars) used basically the same very reliable engine, the BMC A-Series which was available in various capacities. I have worked on lots of them.
07-12-2022, 03:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
The Morris Minor was the equivalent of the VW Beetle in that they were both budget post-WW2 cars and both have had a long-lasting cult following. However, the Minor was more conventional with the engine at the front, was water cooled, and had rear wheel drive.

The BMC (British Motor Company, later British Leyland) owned many brand names including "Austin" and "Morris". When they first introduced the Mini they sold it under two names - The "Austin Seven" and the "Morris Mini-Minor", which were practically identical. The words "Seven" and "Minor" had been used on models dating back to the 1920s. But, as we all know, the word "Mini" caught on like wildfire, one of the most successful brandings ever, so the distinction between the two brands was soon dropped and the car was sold as just the "Mini". The Mini and the Morris Minor (and some other BMC cars) used basically the same very reliable engine, the BMC A-Series which was available in various capacities. I have worked on lots of them.
You know your British cars very well
07-12-2022, 07:21 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes! Morris Minor was the car I saw in the museum.
Thanks to all the posts explaining these cars!
Angky.
07-12-2022, 07:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes! Morris Minor was the car I saw in the museum.
Thanks to all the posts explaining these cars!
Angky.
And thank you for your interest
07-12-2022, 10:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a very cool looking car. Thank you for posting!