Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
A bit of fun with a 720Nm IR filter on my 630Nm K-5
Lens: Tamron 10-24mm Camera: K-5 
Posted By: newmikey, 08-03-2022, 10:56 AM

I have shared quite a number of images here from my IR converted K-5. The conversion was done at 630Nm and I grew a little bit weary of the amount of color in foliage, wanting to tone it down a bit. As you may (or may not) be aware, one can always use an IR filter with a higher IR cutoff (or lower, I can never remember which way the wavelengths go when the number on the filter goes up) on a converted camera.

I got me a reasonably cheap 77mm 720Nm filter off Amazon for about 33 (or same amount in USD) just to play around with, thinking I can always get a more expensive one later on. Today I screwed it on my Tammy 10-24 and went out for a bicycle ride in the countryside around my town. First heads-up and surprise (shouldn't have surprised me though) is that focusing and composing through the eyepiece is no longer possible unlike with the 630Nm sensor filter. The prism is dark and the meter totally overexposes. So out came my LCD loupe/viewer (the type that screws onto the tripod screwmount) and the rest was all live view.

I did a bit of messing around both in Darktable as well as Gimp to flip channels and then saturate the blues while desaturating the yellows and these are my intial results. Sharpness is not bad for such an el-cheapo filter and a 16Mp sensor (even if they ripped the AA filter out for the IR conversion) and I think I'm starting to prefer 720Nm over its more colourful 630Nm cousin. You be the judge...

Views: 202
08-03-2022, 07:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, it does result in some striking images. Due to the absolute contrasts between the resultant colors in the images, they seem incredibly sharp. Good work. That filter may be all that you need.
08-03-2022, 08:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very, very striking images!
I cannot judge much on this because I have no experience with either shooting or viewing IR photos, but these certainly do make a case for catching the eye!
I like them, but I'm also a bit put off by them. So alien to me that I don't know how to handle it.
I do like your experimentation, though!
Angky
08-04-2022, 06:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like these images. As Mike said, they look incredibly sharp due to the contrast. The dark skies kind of have that apocalyptic feel, similar to the way some filmmakers have shot end-of-world movies.